First time Momma

nstone630

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I say twins one of each! She looks lovely :love
I'd love twins!! At least 1 doe would be amazing! I'll just be happy for any amount of healthy kids! She's quite the character herself...miss priss I call her sometimes.

I'll be locking up the buck this week, no need in him harassing her 24-7 for love that she is just not going to give. He's quite upset that for the last few months he can't seem to get her interested! Wonder why!!!??? HAHA Boys! :lol: When the vet was trying to do the ultra sound, he was definitely trying to take advantage of us holding her in place. He's just a rude boy. At least I know now he's a proven breeder, otherwise he'd be sold to the highest bidder ;-)

TAH

Herd Master
Reaction score
It depends on the bucks temperament. We keep our does and buck together year round, we separate the doe a 1week to 5 days before kidding. after she has them we leave them separate from the herd for 3 days and then realise them back with the herd. Our buck has loved the kids, he even sleeps by them at night LOL. (I hope to keep the bucks separate from the does later on down the road).

You normally want to breed once a year but that depends on the does body condition. After she has weaned the kids, look at how well she has kept her body weight. If she seems to loose weight after she kids them make sure she gets to weight before you breed her again. We had a doe that got bred 3 months after kidding and seems to be fine, nice weight eats well and is spunky. We have friends that had Boer goats, they bred them twice a year and did fine.

Hope everything goes well

nstone630

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Do you have a kidding kit?
I don't. I was reading today on the page about what to have. We are making a trip to Tractor supply this evening for a few things. Seems the most very important are gloves, iodine, clean towels, clean water and a suction ball.

Reactions: TAH

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
I don't. I was reading today on the page about what to have. We are making a trip to Tractor supply this evening for a few things. Seems the most very important are gloves, iodine, clean towels, clean water and a suction ball.
Add a bottle of lube and shoulder length gloves to that list! When you have a difficult kidding, it really helps to have those items on hand. Your goat will most likely kid fine, but I think its worth keeping them on hand. You never know when you will need it!

I'd recommend you grab a tube of JumpStart Plus paste while you are at TSC. I always keep it on hand during kidding. It has brought back newborns that I didn't think would live. During kidding I try to keep a few tubes on hand cause chances are, someone is going to call late at night needing help with newborn kids.

Be sure to check BOTH teats when the doe kids. Squeeze several squirts out of each teat to be sure it is flowing as it should. Some doe have colostrum so thick the kids cannot get it out. Had several calls last kidding season because of this. One kid died because the owner wasn't able to catch it quickly. I ended up having to go to another friends to milk out the doe because they couldn't and the kids were getting very weak and the one was close to dying. I milked what I could, "diluted" it with some of our goats milk and fed the kids. Ended up leaving them some frozen colostrum, milk, and some JumpStart Plus paste. Gave some instructions for them to follow and the kids made it :thumbsup

Green Acres Farm

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
@Goat Whisperer, when you give probiotics or jump start, do you put it directly into the goat's mouth and not clean it before using it on the next or saving for later? When I have used it, afterwords a squirted a little out and wiped it before using it on the next goat or putting it back into tube fridge. Is that okay?

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
The probios I use are a powder, I mix with water and drench with a syringe.

I put the JumpStart in a 3cc syringe and weigh in on a gram food scale. The jumpstart tube never even touches the mouth of the goat.

Your method sounds fine. Because I deal with TINY kids (like less than 2 lbs) I give a small amount. I wouldn't give a full 5 grams.