First time Momma

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
A few things I didn't have time to add...
Was the dam vaccinated in the last 3-6 weeks (CDT)
Have your been monitoring her parasite count?
She will have a parasite bloom after kidding. I'd check her a week after she kids and treat accordingly if needed.

You will need to monitor the kids for cocci and parasites as well. You may want to keep them on medicated feed if you have had issues with cocci in the past. Keep DW should also be vaccinated. I give a CDT at 3-4 weeks and repeat it again 3-4 after the first dose.

I would try to get the buck but out ASAP. When does get closer to kidding, bucks smell the hormones being released and can think she doe is in heat and run her badly. You don't want that with any bred doe.

I would plan on having her kid 1x a year. Some goats can be bred more often, but don't try to plan on that. I know a lady who bred a doe 11 days after kidding. It was selfish and irresponsible of the owner to do that (long story- the owner didn't care about the best interest of the goat) I told her that too.

You don't want to risk a doeling getting bred early either.

nstone630

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
A few things I didn't have time to add...
Was the dam vaccinated in the last 3-6 weeks (CDT)
Have your been monitoring her parasite count?
She will have a parasite bloom after kidding. I'd check her a week after she kids and treat accordingly if needed.
I have had a heck of a time trying to get a fecal sample to the vet. My best chance will be this coming weekend when I'm home all day. I don't get home most days until after dark, makes it VERY difficult to obtain.
We have had issues with Strongyle in the past, the buck had it bad. She doesn't have any diarrhea or signs of any infestation. But, I do understand the importance of getting her tested ASAP.

I looked at her bag and tits this evening and she's not as swollen as all the pictures I've seen on here of does about to kid. Her nipples are still loose, not tight like in some of the photos. She's a bit shy, and doesn't like me trying to get a good picture to share of her bag.

I'm hoping to have the buck confined as of this evening. My husband is going by tractor supply today to get the final gate needed to lock his horny tail up.

I'll add the jump start to the list to grab! And if I read all your wonderful instructions correct this is a powder and you mix it with water to make an oral drench? And this is just for the kids, not mom?

nstone630

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
And also, you can give feed to kids that young? I didn't think they'd want grain or hay until after weened.....:hu

nstone630

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
OK. Perfect, thank you! I'll pick some up! Thank you all for all the wonderful help.

I just want to make sure I'm fully prepared. :pop:pop:pop Now we wait.....

nstone630

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Oh, and I saw a recommendation for a puppy sweater in case it's cold... Depending on when she decides to kid it could drop to freezing or below this time of year here in NC. Do you feel that the sweaters would be needed? They will be in a stall in a barn with hay.

nstone630

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Additional question...We at this point have 1 stall in the barn. Do you think for the time being it would be good to pin up the buck? And let MoonPie roam the field? Or try and put her up?

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
You may or may not need a sweater for the kid/s. It wouldn't hurt to get one, but if it is a healthy, good sized kid it will probably be okay. Walmart has them for $5, I have a bunch.

I would pen the doe. Some goats are smart and others are plain dumb and drop a kid in a puddle of water :rolleyes: Some FF's go into a little bit of a shock and if she is penned she will be more likely to clean the kid. With that being said, we've had many kid out in the field with no issues. :thumbsup

Keep some molasses and Nurtri drench handy. I give warm water and molasses after kidding to give the doe a boost. We have had to give Nutri drench to does who had a very long labor with little to no progress due to being worn out.