First time Momma

Hens and Roos

Herd Master
Reaction score
I routinely give my does Bo-Se a month before they freshen. I don't usually see selenium deficiency in the does, but I used to see it in kids. Now all my goats get a Multimin 90 injection every 4-5 months. That covers selenium, copper, zinc, and magnesium.

If you have kids that are weak in the legs or knuckle under when they walk I would ask a vet for the injectable for the kids.

where do you get the Multimin 90 from?

nstone630

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Great information everyone!!

So I don't know that she is deficient, that being said should I wait to see if there are issues with the kids? And if there are, can this be given to the kids and have a full recovery?

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hi, new to goats but have dealt with selenium in horses. With horses the feed is often fortified with enough to keep things from clinical deficiencies. I just checked my goat feed and it does contain selenium.
https://www.purinamills.com/goat-feed/products/purina-goat-chow

Most goat feeds do have selenium however not enough. Many don't feed year round and some areas are so deficient goats may need Selenium 2-3x year... other areas are fine.
Not that our hay comes from another area we give it 1x year. Prior to that my county is not deficient and our hay use to come from here.

BTW- Welcome to BYH! :frow

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hi @plumcreek, welcome to BYH from CA. Most goat feeds do contain selenium but depending on where you live and the severity of the deficiency it isn't always enough. Overdosing on selenium is possible to so you can't just "throw" extra at them so it can be a tight rope walk. I also feed loose minerals with selenium. I don't notice it in the adult goats, I do notice it in the kids being born and also the numbers have been low when I have had mineral panels done. If the kids are deficient at birth then most likely the dam is too.

@Hens and Roos I get Multimin 90 from Valley Vet. It is an Rx. Fortunately my vet is a goat owner and struggles with the same issues so she readily prescribed it for me. You have to make sure the the SubQ injection gets under all the layers of skin or it can cause an injection site abscess. It became quite obvious that my skills were lacking when my friend and I did my herd last year...all the goats she did were good, mine not quite so much. I do it 2x a year but with the intensive milking this year I will probably bump it to 3. I have some goats with some pretty thin coats out there right now.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
I do it 2x a year but with the intensive milking this year I will probably bump it to 3. I have some goats with some pretty thin coats out there right now.
I know you just started doing this so I am wondering if at some point you will do an analysis to make sure you don't have toxicity. If so how often?

Green Acres Farm

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I've heard Mutimin can be easily overdosed.

What am is in Multimin? Is the amount of minerals present different in each region or always the same stuff?

Hens and Roos

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hi @plumcreek, welcome to BYH from CA. Most goat feeds do contain selenium but depending on where you live and the severity of the deficiency it isn't always enough. Overdosing on selenium is possible to so you can't just "throw" extra at them so it can be a tight rope walk. I also feed loose minerals with selenium. I don't notice it in the adult goats, I do notice it in the kids being born and also the numbers have been low when I have had mineral panels done. If the kids are deficient at birth then most likely the dam is too.

@Hens and Roos I get Multimin 90 from Valley Vet. It is an Rx. Fortunately my vet is a goat owner and struggles with the same issues so she readily prescribed it for me. You have to make sure the the SubQ injection gets under all the layers of skin or it can cause an injection site abscess. It became quite obvious that my skills were lacking when my friend and I did my herd last year...all the goats she did were good, mine not quite so much. I do it 2x a year but with the intensive milking this year I will probably bump it to 3. I have some goats with some pretty thin coats out there right now.

Good to know about the Multimin 90 @babsbag, at some point I would like to do a mineral analysis to see where levels stand with our goats but the test is pricy!

nstone630

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
All my goats get is hay/free range grass/sweet feed from TS. Again, I'm unsure if my doe is even deficient but I figured it won't hurt to have this on hand, if not for this kidding, for the future. I'm just praying they come out happy and healthy! :fl

We shall see what she decides to do during this snow we're getting tonight. Should be a low of 9 tomorrow and a low of 0 on Monday :barnie

:caf