1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. Official BYH Caption Contest - Pic by Sfogg
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. BYH Featured Thread: Because BYH
    CLICK HERE!

Dismiss Notice
  4. 2017 BYC Calendar SUPER SALE!
    CLICK HERE!

Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

First time Momma

Discussion in 'Birthing, Weaning, and Raising Young Goats' started by nstone630, Nov 28, 2016.

1. Jan 6, 2017
    Southern by choice

Southern by choice Herd Master

it is 35 at padl what is your cost and where

nstone630 likes this.
  2. Jan 6, 2017
    Hens and Roos

Hens and Roos True BYH Addict

Padl would be the place that I would send sample to. I have 1 doe who I think we should do for sure.

3. Jan 6, 2017
    nstone630

nstone630 Loving the herd life

padl? What is this? I guess it's be good to get my goats tested for a baseline?

4. Jan 6, 2017
    Hens and Roos

It is Pennsylvania Animal Diagnostics Lab- they run different test on blood samples, etc

nstone630 likes this.
  5. Jan 6, 2017
    Latestarter

Latestarter Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry Moderator

Greetings and welcome @plumcreek :frow Great to have you with us :D Please take a moment and do an intro post in the new member's section so we can welcome you properly! Meanwhile, take your time and browse around! Make yourself at home, and when you feel the need to post, by all means, join right in! If you have questions, most times someone will be along to help directly. If you have some pics of your animals or home place, whatever, please share them as we're a bunch of pic addicts here!

plumcreek and nstone630 like this.
  6. Jan 6, 2017
    babsbag

babsbag Herd Master

GUARANTEED ANALYSIS
    GUARANTEED ANALYSIS:
    Zinc.................................................................................. 60 mg/ml
    Manganese...................................................................... 10 mg/ml
    Selenium............................................................................ 5 mg/ml
    Copper............................................................................. 15 mg/ml

It is the same everywhere. I suppose any thing can be OD but it isn't something that I really worry about. I know my copper and selenium are next to non-existent and these animals (at least the does) are pushed to produce, it takes a huge toll on them. Copper in the blood is not a reliable test as it is stored in the liver for long term use. So you either go by looks or have a test at necropsy. Of course none of us WANT to have to have a necropsy done, but I have, and the copper is always low. When I have to draw blood for Brucellosis testing I will send some blood samples in for mineral analysis.

http://www.goatworld.com/articles/nutrition/vitaminsandminerals.shtml

Recent surveys show that there are many areas deficient in certain minerals. However, the goat is an intelligent animal and usually manages on free range to eat herbs, weeds and other deep rooted plant material which has relatively high mineral content. However, real free range is very rare in the U.K. and for that matter this is true over a large proportion of the world.

If a goat of say 40-45kg (88-99 lbs) bodyweight gives 4.5kg (1 gallon or 1.2 US gals)of milk per day that is equal to a cow of 500kg (1100 lbs) giving 50kg (11+ gallons or over 13 US gallons!) No such animal exists. A goat is at least 50% more productive and efficient for its bodyweight than a cow.

This means that if a goat is giving its own bodyweight in milk every 10 days or less, it is therefore utilising vast quantities of vitamins and minerals. At its extreme, top goats in the UK have been known to yield consistently 9kg (nearly 20 lbs) of milk per day, which is equivalent to her own bodyweight every 5 days!

A goat also needs more minerals and vitamins for maintenance too: with its relatively large digestive system in relation to its body size, the work of digestion involves the use, and loss, of large quantities of minerals.

Green Acres Farm likes this.
  7. Jan 6, 2017
    babsbag

babsbag Herd Master

It is 18.00 for me to get Selenium test and 18.00 for trace minerals. Blood for Selenium has to be drawn into a purple top tube and the trace minerals into a blue top tube. I will test my best looking goats and the worst. It is really the coats on some of them that don't look good, body condition they are all great.

8. Jan 7, 2017
    Hens and Roos

what lab do you send the samples to for testing?

9. Jan 7, 2017
    nstone630

nstone630 Loving the herd life

No snow kids yet.
    I will say her back side...I guess like her hips are looking super bony. If I didn't know she was being fed so well, she'd look malnurished to me, aside from the huge belly.

Goat Whisperer likes this.
  10. Jan 7, 2017
    babsbag

babsbag Herd Master

She really is taking this to the max. I feel for you. I have one that will be at 150 days tomorrow so the watch is on here too.

I send them to CAHFS.
    California Animal Health & Food Safety

I think that it probably costs more for out of state submissions.