Fred D and life on the Lazy D

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yep..compost it. Can't just let it sit tho..you'll need to turn it every once in a while, tho if you have the ability, you can just spread it thinly over the pasture, but since you have goats, I would worry spreading wet poopy hay might increase the chance of parasites.

The only reason I have ever burned that kind of stuff was to add some needed potash to my soil.

B&B Happy goats

Herd Master
Reaction score
Fred, living here in florida, with the humidity and heat, i really try to keep things extra clean ...only because i happen to have perfect breeding conditions for parasites to thrive. I use sand on goat castle floor (over the dirt and it drains excellent ) . The soild hay that i rake goes into compost pile and i water it once a week...it works so well that i have put a dead chicken in the pile (about two feet under hay) and it is decomposed within a month...but that's here. Other quick option is burn. It..........happy goating to you Fred:frow

FRED DESANTIS

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Well what do you folks think? Three goats a buck and two Doe's all around ten or eleven months old. 24 bales of hay
IMG_20181124_130540.jpg

They get 2 scoops of goat feed per day. How long do you think this hay will last?

Thanks
Fred D

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
When I did free choice hay, it didn't last as long due to waste. Now that I portion out hay to them twice a day, a bale (small square @~60lbs) lasts almost a week. That's with 10 does. I use the free choice feeder in the buck pen with the buck and 2 wethers. They get a full bale loaded and it lasts about a week as well. MUCH more waste :rant Mark on your calendar when you start a bale and when you finish it up.