Gaited horses?

w c

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Endurance riders are really interesting to talk to on the subject of gaits. One told me that the 'gaited' gaits are easier on the rider but require more energy from the horse. Anther gal told me that 'gaited' gaits are less suitable to rough terrain, where the trot is king.

We had a pony at the barn where I took lessons as a youngster - 'Pancho', a gorgeous little Palomino who 'tattled' on any rider who didn't keep his hands steady, by breaking from a trot to pace. It didn't take long for some of the kids to start to WANT him to pace, LOL. To get him to trot, we put our hands lower and very steady, leaned forward a little bit, and rode in a circle. To pace/gait, sit further back, sit up very straight, and lift the hands.

I only got to ride a 5 gaited horse sometimes - the trainers teach Icelandics to pick up the gaits differently than other trainers - a steady pull on the left rein shifts the horse into the flying pace (skede, fast gait). I love riding the tolte (slow gait), it is so much fun, I just steady them a little and they go into it easily enough, but the quality of the tolte is really gotten by doing basically what people do in dressage, getting the horse very straight and balanced, that's quite an art and schooling Icelandics is really fascinating.

I love riding 5 gaited saddlebreds too. The way I was taught to ask the horse to gait, was to very quickly tug very lightly on first one rein and then the other so the bit 'shuttles' back and forth in their mouth, sit back and raise the hands slightly. Then the horses are either kept slow or urged into the faster version of the gait. What a rush! The scenery rather flies by. The fast gait definitely was not invented to encourage sightseeing!

I've seen people ride gaited horses almost any way you could imagine - western, english, in almost any bit.

michickenwrangler

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Yes, a trot is a more efficient gait and can be maintained over a long distance. One of the ride vets once said the horse can use its cardiovascular system easier at a trot than other gaits, that's why gaited horses don't do as well at UMECRA rides. Our p/r parameters are low, lose points beginning at 40bpm while NATRC rides have "easier" parameters. Don't lose points until 48bpm.

Many people do not like to post, many QH and Arab owners I know just walk with their horses on trail rides or any other kind of ride for that matter.

Honestly, posting 25 miles is not as difficult as it sounds. You and the horse fall into a rhythm and the miles required for conditioning ensure that you and horse know each other and move together quite well. As long as I eat a banana and get adequate sleep the night before a ride, I have no soreness issues.

w c

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Posting was invented to ease the backsides of the 'Post Boys' who rode very long distances on the mail coach horses - their job was to haul the iron mouthed beasts to a halt at each post stop.

adoptedbyachicken

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
While they can be very comfortable to ride I agree, the gaited horses don't do well at CTR, at least around here. First the judges are quick to note that they don't judge gaited horses often enough and want them to trot for the Vet checks. They ding them for not doing it since they feel they can't judge them. I think that's unfair but there seems to be no resolve to this, it's been going on here for as long as I can recall. Second is the PR checks and yes they come in higher, especially on the hot days. They seem less tolerant of the heat, and in rides where water is less abundant they get dinged more for hydration status.

I have never had a gaited breed in CTR myself, but just years of seeing them show up and being the PR team in some rides. I now have a TWH and sure enjoy the pleasure trail rides with her, but she would never be good at CTR for sure, but that's her temperament and abuse history, not her gait that makes me say that.

patandchickens

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
w c said:
Posting was invented to ease the backsides of the 'Post Boys' who rode very long distances on the mail coach horses - their job was to haul the iron mouthed beasts to a halt at each post stop.
It's also to the benefit of the *horses* though, as trying to sit a fast time-making trot is not really any better for the HORSE than for the rider ;)

Pat

michickenwrangler

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
adoptedbyachicken said:
While they can be very comfortable to ride I agree, the gaited horses don't do well at CTR, at least around here. First the judges are quick to note that they don't judge gaited horses often enough and want them to trot for the Vet checks. They ding them for not doing it since they feel they can't judge them. I think that's unfair but there seems to be no resolve to this, it's been going on here for as long as I can recall. Second is the PR checks and yes they come in higher, especially on the hot days. They seem less tolerant of the heat, and in rides where water is less abundant they get dinged more for hydration status.

I have never had a gaited breed in CTR myself, but just years of seeing them show up and being the PR team in some rides. I now have a TWH and sure enjoy the pleasure trail rides with her, but she would never be good at CTR for sure, but that's her temperament and abuse history, not her gait that makes me say that.
We see an occasional TWH or Icelandic at MI rides. A 10 yr old girl who used to ride with me wanted to ride her Racking Horse in a CTR. At the next ride I went to, I asked the ride vet about trot-outs with gaited horses. She said that she can see if a horse is off even when gaiting so it wouldn't be an issue.

Racking Horse mare ended up dying of impaction colic but the girl went on to ride one of my horses and did 2 25-mile CTRs.

adoptedbyachicken

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Cherish that Vet. Seriously, most here dock horses for gaiting at the Vet checks. It's not fair IMO, but they say it's not fair to the trotting ones to not dock the gaiters because they can't tell if they are lame.

We need more gaited horses in this area, simple, the Vets just don't see enough of them.

michickenwrangler

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
What organization sanctions the rides there in BC?

We are UMECRA rules here in the Upper Midwest. There's a few guys from Ontario with big standardbreds that when these things pace, the ground about shakes.

Latest posts