Giving goats cydectin

adoptedbyachicken

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I'd just like to add to Speckled Hen and Terrie's post by reminding all that the Report button found on every post here is for your use.

Rather than reply to a disrespectful or inciting post use the report button and tell us how you feel about it.

Those that use the reply button to post further nastiness may be subject to the same membership sanctions as the originator. Something to keep in mind.

Carry on, and have a great day!

trestlecreek

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Back when I bought it, it was the pour-on given orally and that is just like swallowing gas IMO. I used it topically to control external parasites. If you have the product made for an oral route or as an injectable given as an injection, it is a good product for internal woms.
I generally like to go by what my vet says. If you think he may be in error with his doses, just call him back to double check.;)
Goats generally do carry a worm or 2. Those goats generally do not shed an egg for us to see. When we see any eggs, we worm. When we see clean fecals, we don't worm.
From what I have found, I can have clean fecals for 3-4 years in a row. If one goat has a high stresser (illness, kidding, movement,etc), I like to run a fecal a few days later to see if they shed upon stress.

We have very large pastures and our goats are worm free and have been for a number of years. I really feel that pasture management and general management has something to do with that. I never take my worm status for granted though, and keep my eye out and run fecals to be sure frequently; no one is exempt from worms and outbreaks can happen. Just par for the course.

bj taylor

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
hello everyone. I am raising an ancient thread because i'm brand new to goats & my vet prescribed cydectin pour on as an oral treatment for worms. that being said, i'm concerned about his choice of med for this and coccidiosis which my goats also have & he is prescribing corid.
I am having two dilemmas here. number 1. I bought these 8 goats (one doe and 7 doelings - boer/texmaster) from a man who appeared to have a very healthy herd (I know very very little about goats - but am learning fast). he said he had just wormed them all (I don't know what he used). I've had them two months on dense forage (briars, oaks, cedar, mesquite). all have seemed very healthy. last week I start noticing clumping stool & graduating into 'pudding' & back again. it stayed in one goat. today I notice two or three having the same stool & take the specimen to the vet. WHY would these goats have a problem like this in ideal foraging environment, plenty of room, and no lifestock on this land before?

the other question is, is he prescribing medication you would use on your goats? the corid for the cocci and the cydectin pour on (orally) for the worms.

thanks so much for any replies

DonnaBelle

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
OK, Cydectin Sheep Drench, 1 cc per 10 lbs of goat. For barberpole

Cydectin injectable, given ORALLY, 1 CC PER 75 LBS OF GOAT. Some people use this as it's a less expensive way to go. For barberpole.

Valbazen, given orally, 1 cc per 10 lbs of goat. You must not give Valbazen to pregnant does, it causes them to abort. It will kill tapeworms as well as barberpole.

For coccidia, give 40% DiMethox,( you have to order it from Jeffers), the dosage as follows:

1 cc per 5 lbs of goat on day 1.

1 cc per 10 lbs of goat on days 2 -5.

BJ, I don't know where you are, but there are several reasons for loose stools. Lots of rain can bring on cocci, and if the goats eat some plants (cherry bushes/trees) they will scour. Cocci is usually a black stool, and a green stool is from eating the wrong plants.

I would get some 40% DiMethox for cocci and keep it on hand.

DonnaBelle

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
Cydectin is a good choice for the worms. Here we use Albon suspension for coccidia .

Rain brings on coccidia, they flourish in wet conditions. Deer will track worms and other parasites into your field, so even without having livestock previously you can develop a problem.
Plus bringing the goats home can cause enough stress to cause a worm or coccidia bloom. You should always practice some sort of quarantine procedure that includes deworming when bringing goats to a new environment.

You can get cydectin in a sheep drench as DonnaBelle stated. You can also use the pour on given orally, though it is harsher.

AshleyFishy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
elevan said:
Cydectin is a good choice for the worms. Here we use Albon suspension for coccidia .

Rain brings on coccidia, they flourish in wet conditions. Deer will track worms and other parasites into your field, so even without having livestock previously you can develop a problem.
Plus bringing the goats home can cause enough stress to cause a worm or coccidia bloom. You should always practice some sort of quarantine procedure that includes deworming when bringing goats to a new environment.

You can get cydectin in a sheep drench as DonnaBelle stated. You can also use the pour on given orally, though it is harsher.
2x

bj taylor

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
thanks so much. I gave one doeling a dose of the cydectin. it scared me to death. I thought the vet had labeled it wrong. it was such a solvent smell. it was violet colored & kinda oily. I didn't give any other goats because it scared me so bad. I came in & looked it up. it looks like that's the stuff. good grief.

one month ago we had very odd weather & it was cool for a few days & it rained non stop for 24 hours. I hadn't gotten their pen cleaned out before that weather set in. I think that might be where my problems began. we are now in typical North Texas weather. very hot and very dry.

their stool certainly isn't black. it's brown like their berries. I looked at the inside of their eyelids. they are rather pale. I must treat them. can they hold while I order this 40% DiMethox or should I proceed w/the corid? i'm ordering the dimethox to keep on hand as you suggest.

I ordered a microscope & slides so I can do my own fecals (once I learn what i'm looking at - lol).

do you have suggestions on how you orally medicate your goats? I feel like I've suddenly been pushed into the deep end - things were going so smooth & wham!

sure appreciate y'alls input. thank you

AshleyFishy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I'm about an hour east of Dallas. It sounds like you have the same weather we have right now.

Sulmet is common in our area and is not a vita b1 inhibitor like corid. I've used it as a concentrated drench with great results. I would get the sheep cydectin and use that for worming. You might also start them on some red cell orally. That will help support them during the anemia.

I also used the cattle pour on for awhile, by recommendation from a vet. I had neurological problems, sudden death, etc with my herd. Also wear gloves while dosing with the purple stuff. As a woman I had trouble with it causing me to menstruate in the next few days after being exposed.

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
You could treat with the CoRid and repeat in 21 days with the DiMethox for the coccidia.

DonnaBelle

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I always keep either Dimethox 40% on hand.

Recently I ordered some Toltrazuril, which is also a concentrated coccidia medicine. I ordered it from www.prehorserace.com a supply house, online.

Toltraxzuril has two big advantages over DiMethox 40%.

l. It does not taste vile like dimethox does.

2. You give one dose (1 cc per 5 lbs. of goat) and then 10 days later, another follow up dose if needed.

Much less dosing, and much easier to get them to swallow. I have had goats spit it all out in my face!!

Cocci can be a killer, so you have to keep something on hand.

I couldn't figure out why they hated the Dimethox so I put some on my finger and stuck my tongue to it, VILE VILE VILE TASTING STUFF.

DonnaBelle