Goat eating dog food

cmjust0

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
What do you do when your dog is goat sized??!? If I cut a dog door in something for Ivan, my whole herd could get through it. :lol:

savingdogs

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I was thinking you could just use a dog crate, put the dog and food inside during feeding time instead of constructing a whole pen or nifty contraption such as Farmer Chick suggests. My dogs just go inside their crate if they know food is coming because I often feed them in there to avoid squabbles.

FarmerChick

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out a creep feeder solution for a dog...even a big one...:lol:

crate to eat is good idea also. when you work your barn, put up the dog first, feed and finish chores. would work definitely. not even a crate would be needed if you could just separate the dog first, let it eat while you do chores, and done deal.

cmjust0

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out a creep feeder solution for a dog...even a big one...:lol:
Well, I guess I'm a big dummy then because every creep feeder I've ever seen works off the principle of the creeper being smaller than the rest of the animals.. That's kinda the defining principle of the thing, actually...but what do I know?

:hu

dhansen

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
All that sounds good except....this dog weighs in at about 110 lbs. I have nigerian dwarves and nubians. Any size opening for my dog's mouth is big enough for a nigerian to crawl all the way in! This dog does not come out of the pasture unless it has to go to the vet. i will have to figure out something.

kimmyh

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
How about using cattle panels wrapped around t-posts (in a circle) you can feed the dog in there, and then use the panels if you need to later? Temporary cheap fix, inside the pen.

FarmerChick

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Well us humans being a tad smarter than most animals, well maybe, I am sure still something can be figured out.

using the idea and changing it to fit the need is a place to start.

many a contraption has been modified to do other things. us farmers sure can do that good..HA HA

cmjust0

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Alright, well, help the OP figure out how to make a creep feeder for a 100lb+ dog that runs with animals smaller than it is.. You suggested a creep feeder...you said it wasn't rocket science...you said you farmin' types were good at figuring stuff like that out, soooooo...

As another dummy with a goat-sized dog to feed, I'm really interested to hear your solution. :D

FarmerChick

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I never had to make one obviously.

I never dealt with mini animals. I only have full size animals.

So I guess just feed the dog away from the herd. And if that dog can't be taken out of the pasture for any reason....can not be separated from that area.....feed it in a pen with a door you latch.

So it is a creep feeder situation with a door. See I modified the entrance with a door to keep those little mini critters out.

And I am not saying anyone is dumb, I am saying to think a bit....feeding a dog separate in a pasture doesn't take alot of work I would think.

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
It took me all of 3 days to train our LGD pup (a few weeks ago) that if he wants food, he MUST come in the barn.
Now he's the first one in the door...but...
I've never had to try to get an adult dog to go somewhere 'new and scary' though, so I don't envy you that task.
Our adult LGD have always come in the barn to eat (from puppyhood) to avoid any conflicts over food.