Goat in labor for 5 days?

GoatieMama

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I had a doe prolapse for about a week more than two weeks before she was due. I think it was positioning of kids. I think I posted pics under my 2018 kidding thread...

That being said...several things could be occurring. I have some questions.
1) Do you have a due date for this doe?
2) What breed is the doe? What breed is the buck she was bred to?
3) What is the doe’s age?
4) Do you have any pictures of discharge or protrusion? Both perhaps?
5) What antibiotic was given? (I’m not sure I understand why an antibiotic was given to be quite honest...)

Your post makes a lot of sense about the prolapse prepping the kids.
1) not sure when she was bred
2) boer to boer. This is her second kidding. No problems the first time.
3) About 4? She’s a rescue.
4) Will try for pictures in the day time.
5) Penicillin. My neighbor thought a preventative dose couldn’t hurt. No fever.

I did find an article about breeding & kidding, which made me feel much better. She definitely does not have the long mucus discharge indicating imminent birth.

GoatieMama

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Pictures would be a big help. Also what you are describing as protruding, is probably her body just getting ready for labor. My Izzy looked like she was going to pop for weeks. If you can see or feel movement, then everything is fine. Is the straining happening while standing up? Does will stand and stretch their back out which helps babies get into position. Put some kind of block out for her, like a cinder clock. It will help her with the positioning. Izzy discharged for 3 days before giving birth.

Thank you so much for the support. I got concerned when things didn’t move along, but I’m feeling now this is just “getting ready” for the big event.

MiniSilkys

Loving the herd life
Reaction score

I did find an article about breeding & kidding, which made me feel much better. She definitely does not have the long mucus discharge indicating imminent birth.
Lol, about the long discharge, because mine didn't either. just a little bit hanging out. Have you learned about the tail ligaments?

Wehner Homestead

Herd Master
Reaction score

Couple of things that you can do...
1) Check her temp (one dose of penicillin won’t do much- five day courses are usually prescribed for animals and sometimes longer.)
2) check her ligaments - search it on this site. It’s been explained numerous times. (Hence, why I don’t see the need to type it out again. Sorry if that seems blunt.)
3) some slightly bloody discharge isn’t uncommon. I’ve had a few have a few drops of bright red blood but it never amounted to much.
4) Boer gestation is 150 days average (145-155 typically.) I’ll share a link to any easy, free calculator. You should be able to narrow down some of the timeline based on how long the prior person had her with a buck and how long you’ve had her.

https://americangoatsociety.com/gestation-calculator.php

GoatieMama

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Couple of things that you can do...
1) Check her temp (one dose of penicillin won’t do much- five day courses are usually prescribed for animals and sometimes longer.)
2) check her ligaments - search it on this site. It’s been explained numerous times. (Hence, why I don’t see the need to type it out again. Sorry if that seems blunt.)
3) some slightly bloody discharge isn’t uncommon. I’ve had a few have a few drops of bright red blood but it never amounted to much.
4) Boer gestation is 150 days average (145-155 typically.) I’ll share a link to any easy, free calculator. You should be able to narrow down some of the timeline based on how long the prior person had her with a buck and how long you’ve had her.

https://americangoatsociety.com/gestation-calculator.php
Many thanks!

GoatieMama

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Lol, about the long discharge, because mine didn't either. just a little bit hanging out. Have you learned about the tail ligaments?

Well, bad news. Just came out & the kid was front feet out, no head. My neighbor helped get the kid out, but it died within a minute. Rubbed with a towel, but it didn’t make it. So sad. Question now: would the placenta hang out if there were more kids in there? She’s up & eating without a care in the world.

GoatieMama

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
It feels like there’s something moving inside, but hard to tell.

Attachments

• FF5CFA03-9071-48B6-8918-B2F8A18731F3.jpeg
    FF5CFA03-9071-48B6-8918-B2F8A18731F3.jpeg
    540 KB · Views: 176
  • 63024C54-C5AF-4BEF-ABFD-BB10679EC0F8.jpeg
    63024C54-C5AF-4BEF-ABFD-BB10679EC0F8.jpeg
    373.5 KB · Views: 191
  • B8EA08E7-BE9A-42E6-AB09-2F393C8D11A6.jpeg
    B8EA08E7-BE9A-42E6-AB09-2F393C8D11A6.jpeg
    481.6 KB · Views: 201

Latest posts