Goat pregnancy and toxic plants

abraeri

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
So they ate hay, we drenched them with ginger and a bunch of other stuff water and also got some probiotics into one. They don't look like they are quite well yet, but definitely pulling through! Will keep you guys updated! Especially around 3 months later when they are due! :D

abraeri

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I am very careful with toxic plants. I go down the list of toxic plants before I plant anything. If you don't want to pull them up, then maybe beef up your fence/gate. Sometimes animals will eat toxic plants in small amounts for the trace minerals and vitamins or to worm themselves. Or sometimes because they do these things just to worry us to death. I hope they are ok.

I will have to see about getting rid of any azalea on the property which as far as I know is the only toxic plant we have. Hopefully they won't be wanting to get into it again though - we had another one eat two leaves last year and have a little bit of discomfort - this time I don't think she even tried it! She is perfectly fine and wondering why her two sisters seem to be so off! :D

abraeri

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
So their temperatures are a little low considering it's pretty warm here. One is at 101.6 and the other is 101.8. Our healthy goat is at 102.3. The young one is still bringing up a sort of liquidy cud; wants to eat but seems like she can't. The other one had a few banana peels and I can tell her stomach is still upset. Listening to her rumen I am not hearing the loud gurgling I can usually hear. We're going to get some human b-complex and crush it up to give to them.

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
So their temperatures are a little low considering it's pretty warm here. One is at 101.6 and the other is 101.8. Our healthy goat is at 102.3. The young one is still bringing up a sort of liquidy cud; wants to eat but seems like she can't. The other one had a few banana peels and I can tell her stomach is still upset. Listening to her rumen I am not hearing the loud gurgling I can usually hear. We're going to get some human b-complex and crush it up to give to them.
What about some electrolytes? In my kidding lit it lists them,but if you don’t have the ones from TS you can just use pedialyte..so I grabbed a bottle of that for my bag...maybe you could try that..maybe freeze some..then se if they might want to chew them? Of simply put it in a syringe and be done with it...easier way. :)

abraeri

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
We made our own electrolyte water to drench them... They are cycling between feeling good them feeling bad

The young one again is acting lethargic

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
Oh nooo. I’m sooo sorry you’re going through this. I would definitely be dig up that bush or cutting it to the base with my chainsaw....

B&B Happy goats

Herd Master
Reaction score
Goats metabolize things pretty quickly, I would suggest to just give them some probiotics in their water and only feed them hay until you see them acting normal .....if they had consumed a toxic amount I don't think they would be still around, get their gut corrected and hope the kids were not affected..
Hoping you have a happy outcome with them :hugs

abraeri

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Everybody is doing perfectly fine by yesterday; been loading up on the hay, especially since it's been raining for the past three days about. We'll have to see how this affects their pregnancy if at all.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
I doubt it will affect them at all. Goats are browsers. They eat a bite here and a bite there, usually not enough to kill them. Unless they ate an entire yard full of azalea plants they probably did not get enough to harm them. If you decide to give vitamin B complex, it would be better to give it as an injection. Vitamin B can be hard on the stomach. In fact, since you are giving them charcoal and banana peels, their stomachs may have been off due to the charcoal. If they were going to react to any poisoning, they would have died by now. They are not likely to lose pregnancies, especially at this point,

I would give some paste probiotics. You can use the stuff they sell for horses and adjust the dose for the weight of your goats. It looks like you have Nubians. If they are full size adult Nubians, use the dose for about 125 lbs. The probiotics will help calm their stomachs. You can also use Pepto Bismol to settle their stomachs. Pedialyte is for dehydration, not to soothe stomachs. If they are not drinking, pedialyte solution is ok, but the probiotics are better. The probiotic paste is also salty so it will encourage them to drink water on their own. If the temperatures are cold where you are, you can offer warm water instead of cold, and add a little corn syrup to make it more palatable to get them to drink it. You can also give raw yogurt if you can't get the probiotic. However you will have to drench them with that as well. I like the convenience of he over counter probiotic paste since it is easy to dose, keeps in the refrigerator, and doesn't need a drench gun.

By the way, you can also buy the charcoal in a tube paste form too.

abraeri

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I'm going through and updating old posts of mine... these girls ended up fine, one of them had a bit of a difficult kidding but I don't think it was related to this at all.