greenfamilyfarm's Journal - Nubian Kids are HERE! Pictures Up

greenfamilyfarms

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Today I dropped of Isabella at Grandma's so I could get some stuff outside done. Today is about 62 degrees, so neither too hot nor too cold... but I still worked up a sweat and had to take off my coat. We are really late doing so, but we planted our pasture with rye. Hopefully we still have enough "warm" days for it to come up and harden off. If the temp drops really low, it's probably going to be a goner since it will burn it up. Anyways... it was already bought and will save us some money on feed and hay if it does come up right.

Piper, our female GP, is showing pre-labor signs today. I wasn't home to really witness her first breeding (I was in labor with our little girl) but she due between Dec 5-10. She may go a day or so earlier, which would be tomorrow. She's got some discharge so could be.

We still have a BUNCH of pecans to be picked up. I picked up 2, 5-gal buckets worth today and dumped in them in empty feed bags. Our feed store is paying $0.55/lb for small stewarts, so maybe I can get enough to trade for some feed, etc.

Also, my Grandpa found out hubby and I were in the market for a tractor. We have been borrowing his to do things. Today he looked at me and said, "Well, don't get in too much hurry because I won't be around forever." Gosh, the reality of that hit me like a load of bricks.

greenfamilyfarms

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Yesterday I used my pressure canner from Lehman's (gosh, I love that thing!) to canned some deer my hubby's co-worker gave him. Here's what we did: James trimmed the meat and cut it into large stew-sized chunks. We stuffed wide mouth quart jars tightly and added 1 tsp of salt in the top. Don't add water or broth - it makes it's own. We processed it at 10 lbs for 90 minutes. It's fully cooked, so all you have to do is dump it out of the jar and warm it up in a frying pan with some onions and peppers. The broth can be used to make your gravy for some mashed taters or rice.

327_dscn4605.jpg

Piper's still holding onto the puppies.

Sunny & the 5 egg layers

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Good job canning the venison! :thumbsup
I cant wait for Piper to have her puppies. I am sure they will come soon enough! :bun

You know what I like about your journal? You keep me entertained with pictures. :woot Us BYH'ers love pictures!

greenfamilyfarms

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
The weather was in the upper 70s here for the past 3 days. Last night we had a cold front come through plus a full moon. I also had today jotted down as Piper's due date. I figure with those 3 things, she would have the puppies within the next few days. She decided to start pushing at 11:45 last night. We have 7 big, fat, healthy puppies (no runts or peanuts) - 4 boys, 3 girls! Piper is doing so good with them. She was super clumsy with her last litter and ended up laying on and smoothering 7, leaving her with 3 puppies. HOWEVER, she is not as spastic this time and is turning out to be a good mama. She's constantly licking them and mothering them. I'm so proud of my girl! Pictures soon!

Ms. Research

Herd Nerd On A Mission
Reaction score
Congratulations on the 7 fat, healthy pups! Glad to hear Piper is doing well with this litter.

Can't wait to see pics.

K

greenfamilyfarms

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
327_dscn4622_piperpuppiesnb.jpg

327_dscn4619_groupnewborn1.jpg

Gender & Weights
Red - Male - 1 lb 4.4 oz
Brown - Male - 1 lb 4.4 oz
Orange - Male - 1 lb 5.4 oz
Blue - Male - 1 lb 2.2 oz
Purple - Female - 15.6 oz
Yellow - Female - 1 lb 2.6 oz
Turquoise - Female - 1 lb 3.0 oz

greenfamilyfarms

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Next 10 questions

11. Are you interested in providing more of your own food supply?
We have a small garden made out of raised beds. We also get veggies and meats we don't raise ourselves from local farmers.

12. Where do you end up when you sink into yourself, away from the outside world?
Most of the time, I go outside and find something to do or either sit outside in a chair and just talk to the animals.

13. Can you drive a farm tractor or a semi?
I wish. :hide Growing up, driving a tractor wasn't girl's work.

14. Do you make crafts or useful items? Would you want to teach others how to do these?
I make soaps, cross-stitch, and can crochet. I also really enjoy canning stuff. I have taught a lesson on animal by-products at the local high school where we made butter.

15. Can you legally have all forms of livestock where you are at? Do you have any? What kinds?
Yes - we are pretty much in the country, but close enough to town to make feed runs every week or so. We have Great Pyrenees, goats (Nubian, production Boer, Alpine/LaMancha), Buff Oprington chickens, and Wheaten Ameraucanas. Also honey bees.

16. Can you operate a lathe? Metal, wood?
I'm afraid not, but I've seen one used.

17. Do you like to garden? If so, what do you enjoy growing?
Yes. My favorite vegetables to grow are (in order) tomatoes, cucumbers, and peppers.

18. Do you fish? Bait or explosives?
Yes, we fish. We have a small 2-person boat we bought back in the summer. We fish using the traditional pole method, but we have set some catfish trot lines in the river, which is about 15 minutes away from us.

19. How much space/land do you have or rent? City farm? Country?
Right now we have 3 acres in the country with 2 of it hobby farm land. There is some more family farm land surrounding our property, including a grape vineyard.

20. Are you a Novice, Technician, degreed?
I have a Bachelors in Science with concentration in Biology, as well as an AA in Middle Grades Education.

BeccaJoVon

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
greenfamilyfarms said:
http://www.backyardherds.com/forum/uploads/327_dscn4622_piperpuppiesnb.jpg

http://www.backyardherds.com/forum/uploads/327_dscn4619_groupnewborn1.jpg

Gender & Weights
Red - Male - 1 lb 4.4 oz
Brown - Male - 1 lb 4.4 oz
Orange - Male - 1 lb 5.4 oz
Blue - Male - 1 lb 2.2 oz
Purple - Female - 15.6 oz
Yellow - Female - 1 lb 2.6 oz
Turquoise - Female - 1 lb 3.0 oz
Ahhh, I want Great Pyrenees so bad. I've finally found some locally and am on a waiting list.
Congratulations!

Becky ~

77Herford

The Farm Zookeeper
Reaction score
They are great dogs. Nice to see the Mom doing well.

Latest posts