greenfamilyfarm's Journal - Nubian Kids are HERE! Pictures Up

greenfamilyfarms

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Ok, I've cried and gotten over it, so I'll tell you what happened to Bonanza.

He was born 3/26 (a triplet) and his mother rejected the kids. The breeder was giving him 2 bottles a day via bottles placed in a holder along the fence. He was kind of skinny and a little weak when I picked him up, but I thought he was just sleepy because it was about 8:30 at night. Got him home and he took about 3 ounces of milk no problem, and another 3-4 ounces yesterday morning. By lunch, he was down and wouldn't stand up and wouldn't take the bottle. Cold mouth. No temp, no respiratory symptoms, just laying around (depression). I gave him electrolytes, Probios, some Selenium-E gel, and Vitamin B. At the evening feeding he was laid out flat with his eyes glazed over. Took him the house and he didn't last long after that. I don't know if he wasn't getting enough to eat to begin with and it just caught up with him when I brought him here or what. :/

The doelings are doing great with the bottle, though, to be dam-raised. I did notice that Cessna has the start of a navel infection, so I drained it and treated it with peroxide to flush it. No fever, but I thought I would start some Pen-G just as a precaution.

It seems like I can't win for loosing.

autumnprairie

Owned by the Rotten Heifers
Reaction score
greenfamilyfarms said:
Ok, I've cried and gotten over it, so I'll tell you what happened to Bonanza.

He was born 3/26 (a triplet) and his mother rejected the kids. The breeder was giving him 2 bottles a day via bottles placed in a holder along the fence. He was kind of skinny and a little weak when I picked him up, but I thought he was just sleepy because it was about 8:30 at night. Got him home and he took about 3 ounces of milk no problem, and another 3-4 ounces yesterday morning. By lunch, he was down and wouldn't stand up and wouldn't take the bottle. Cold mouth. No temp, no respiratory symptoms, just laying around (depression). I gave him electrolytes, Probios, some Selenium-E gel, and Vitamin B. At the evening feeding he was laid out flat with his eyes glazed over. Took him the house and he didn't last long after that. I don't know if he wasn't getting enough to eat to begin with and it just caught up with him when I brought him here or what. :/

The doelings are doing great with the bottle, though, to be dam-raised. I did notice that Cessna has the start of a navel infection, so I drained it and treated it with peroxide to flush it. No fever, but I thought I would start some Pen-G just as a precaution.

It seems like I can't win for loosing.
:hugs

greenfamilyfarms

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
This morning Citabria and Cessna took their bottles without me having to put the nipples in their mouths! Yay! They are catching on quick. I've already had requests for friend's children to come by and feed them one day.