Grumble grumble!

mystang89

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Yeah, those are nice looking floors. There come out real nice. I've restored a couple of floors like that and have really liked the outcome. Only thing I still have a real problem with is sanding the sides and corners next to the wall down and getting them to look the same as where the drum sander stopped lol. Wave City next to the walls.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
You can use a flat hand held sander at the edges...powered is available, LOL. Lot of hand & knees work but, doable.

Some people do not like hardwood. Many reasons. They can sure show dirt/dust more than carpet! In winter, I add rugs over mine as it retains heat better. Summer they come out as the floor stays cooler. Alas, mine are not real wood but laminate, installed when I built almost 20 yr ago now. I love the old houses. Alas, found none in my area when I bought my property that were available, salvageable and/or affordable. Often the upgrades made cost impossible.

Genipher

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
It may be that the stank seeped into the wood. I have seen some real pretty pictures of design painted floors. If you’re going to refinish them anyway, why not paint them. Or just clean them real good and coat with polyurethane. That would seal the floors for now.

So I scrubbed the floor with soap and water over the weekend and last night I noticed the bad smell is finally gone.

I don't think I want to paint them, I'd like to sand them and seal them. I love the natural color.;)

Genipher

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
You can use a flat hand held sander at the edges...powered is available, LOL. Lot of hand & knees work but, doable.

Some people do not like hardwood. Many reasons. They can sure show dirt/dust more than carpet! In winter, I add rugs over mine as it retains heat better. Summer they come out as the floor stays cooler. Alas, mine are not real wood but laminate, installed when I built almost 20 yr ago now. I love the old houses. Alas, found none in my area when I bought my property that were available, salvageable and/or affordable. Often the upgrades made cost impossible.

I'm planning on getting a rug for the winter months. We only have wood heat in this old House and the floors get COLD.

Genipher

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Yeah, those are nice looking floors. There come out real nice. I've restored a couple of floors like that and have really liked the outcome. Only thing I still have a real problem with is sanding the sides and corners next to the wall down and getting them to look the same as where the drum sander stopped lol. Wave City next to the walls.

I did discover a few bad spots. One board in the middle of the floor has a big chunk missing from it. And near the closet it looks like someone replaced the wood with plaster...? That'll have to be fixed.
IMG_20180819_125143204.jpg

Donna R. Raybon

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Yay!!!!! You are so lucky to have wood floors!!! Do a section at a time with hot water and Murphy's soap. Use a wet/dry vac to slurp up water, rinse, repeat. Then have a fan to move air and dry fast. That should get all the dirt up from cracks between boards from years of carpet. Once clean and dry a good paste floor wax and buffing will make you proud!!! So happy for you !!!

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I laid wood floors when we bought our place. I rented the sander and did a pretty good job. But the only sand paper they had was very rough. I would have liked a finer sandpaper. It was the drum type sander and it didn't get up to the walls. I wound up going over the whole house with a fine sandpaper, I taped it to a Swiffer sweeper. LOL

I made the mistake of using a water based polyurethane. Big mistake, the floor is scratched and I need to redo it. Not a job that I'll tackle any time soon, but it's on the radar.

mystang89

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
The drum sander only goes up to 150 from the rental places around here. What I did was take 200 then 220 with a hand sander on a pole and went over the floor. They've come out with some durable water based polyurethane but I never trusted it and only use oil based. Actually with flooring I last used duraseal polyurethane and the finish was nice.