GW & SBC's kidding thread: 2019

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
SBC, you've got beautiful goats. Love those earless mini-manchas and nice nigerians. Not good for discouraging me from finding nice lamanchas around here (lucky for my husband, there seems to be a focus on nigerians, nubians, and mini nubians, so I guess I'll focus on the nicest nigerians I can breed and forego the big goat discussion with him). I'll just have to enjoy the poetry of your goats through your pictures. Kidding threads are a blast.
Thank you.

I got some more pics of the babies! They are a few hours old here. Can't wait to see them in a week.
I love the "bracelets" on the one boy!
They weren't sure how they felt about that grass.
Now we have a hard decision to make... which out of the 3 f-1's (Charlotte's buck and Prynne's 2) will we keep????
Hester Prynne Kiegh Mini  kids DOB 3.24.19 (1) - Copy.JPG
Hester Prynne Kiegh Mini  kids DOB 3.24.19 (2) - Copy.JPG
Hester Prynne Kiegh Mini  kids DOB 3.24.19 (3) - Copy.JPG
Hester Prynne Kiegh Mini  kids DOB 3.24.19 (4) - Copy.JPG
Hester Prynne Kiegh Mini  kids DOB 3.24.19 (5).JPG
Hester Prynne Kiegh Mini  kids DOB 3.24.19 (6).JPG
Hester Prynne Kiegh Mini  kids DOB 3.24.19 (7).JPG
Hester Prynne Kiegh Mini  kids DOB 3.24.19 (8).JPG

MiniSilkys

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
They are cute. @Goat Whisperer, @Southern by choice I have a 3 day old half blind buckling. Have you ever or known anyone who has ever had a blind goat/buck? I am wondering what I should do. He is a half time bottle baby. Should I get him disbudded? All my goats have horns. Btw, he is a pygmy. I was supposed to sell him. But who would buy a half blind goat? I don't know what to do. I have saved him from death twice in his three days of life. I can't just let him die, even if I have to keep him.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
They are cute. @Goat Whisperer, @Southern by choice I have a 3 day old half blind buckling. Have you ever or known anyone who has ever had a blind goat/buck? I am wondering what I should do. He is a half time bottle baby. Should I get him disbudded? All my goats have horns. Btw, he is a pygmy. I was supposed to sell him. But who would buy a half blind goat? I don't know what to do. I have saved him from death twice in his three days of life. I can't just let him die, even if I have to keep him.
If you have all horned leave him horned if you are keeping him. Are you sure he is blind? You could talk with your vet but maybe try A,D,E, B-12 vitamin gel. Vitamin A is associated with eye issues and thiamine/B vitamins as well. You should have him seen. Some people love taking care of special needs animals. List him as special needs and an adoption fee of a low price of ... LOL
If he can see enough to get around etc.. why not.

On another note.
This is kinda special. I know this is our kidding thread and maybe I should put it in journals but we sold a doe last year (late fall), she was sold bred and after bloodtest confirmed she went to her new home. Her person is a 7 year old little girl that has goats but wanted her OWN lamancha. We met them at the shows. Jane Eyre was bred to Black Tie Affair. We were so hoping Jane would give them a doe. We got the call and Jane had two bucks. One was huge. I think they were 7.5# and 10 or 11#. The little girl loves her boys! Anyway they have had lots of kids born over the past few weeks. I got a few pics tonight, and this one pic really stood out!
I asked who is that kid out of,WOW! Beautiful.
I got a message back... it was Jane Eyre/Black Tie Affairs buck kid! :th:ep:love:yesss: It made me sooooo happy! Pretty sure they are keeping this guy!
Jane Eyre BTA buckkid.jpg

We also got some pics of a Nigerian Doeling that went to her new home today! She is spoiled already and was on the couch! :lol:
We will get to see this doe at some shows! :)

And lastly Charlotte- that kidded on the 15th... she is increasing in production and we are loving her 2F udder. Her skin continues to stretch.
Really happy with it so far.
Charlotte udder.JPG

MiniSilkys

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
If you have all horned leave him horned if you are keeping him. Are you sure he is blind? You could talk with your vet but maybe try A,D,E, B-12 vitamin gel. Vitamin A is associated with eye issues and thiamine/B vitamins as well. You should have him seen. Some people love taking care of special needs animals. List him as special needs and an adoption fee of a low price of ... LOL
If he can see enough to get around etc.. why not
His left eye is blue. I was just wondering about the horns being dangerous when he can't see.

Daxigait

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
yeah, goats seem to discriminate by ear type. :\

So, today Prynne is in the kidding stall!!!!!!! :weee
Another really exciting kidding for us. Again for minis. GW thought it wise to breed two does closely related to Kiegh in case one didn't give us a buck. Smart girl that GW!

I love kidding season. I love lining up the does/bucks.

I don't know- guess I still get like a little kid with getting so excited. I know not everything works out the way I hope but stilll.... it is fun and exciting. I do wonder sometimes, I rarely see people get excited about a line up. :hu
Shoot, I get excited about other people's line ups.
I'm on a few FB groups and geesh, it's like everyone is in competition instead of being happy for each other.
I never want to lose my joy over goats.
I agree I plan for months and go back and forth and it's neat to try to see what's going to happen with each individual breeding. I spend lots of time on adga genetics. I'm always asking others breeders to show their pictures and some of them cannot even take any pictures they have gotten to business like :hu

Last edited:

Daxigait

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
If he can see enough to get around etc.. why not.

On another note.
This is kinda special. I know this is our kidding thread and maybe I should put it in journals but we sold a doe last year (late fall), she was sold bred and after bloodtest confirmed she went to her new home. Her person is a 7 year old little girl that has goats but wanted her OWN lamancha. We met them at the shows. Jane Eyre was bred to Black Tie Affair. We were so hoping Jane would give them a doe. We got the call and Jane had two bucks. One was huge. I think they were 7.5# and 10 or 11#. The little girl loves her boys! Anyway they have had lots of kids born over the past few weeks. I got a few pics tonight, and this one pic really stood out!
I asked who is that kid out of,WOW! Beautiful.
I got a message back... it was Jane Eyre/Black Tie Affairs buck kid! :th:ep:love:yesss: It made me sooooo happy! Pretty sure they are keeping this guy!
View attachment 59957

We also got some pics of a Nigerian Doeling that went to her new home today! She is spoiled already and was on the couch! :lol:
We will get to see this doe at some shows! :)

And lastly Charlotte- that kidded on the 15th... she is increasing in production and we are loving her 2F udder. Her skin continues to stretch.
Really happy with it so far.
View attachment 59958
Nice udder.. I need some of that rear udder arch please ;)

Daxigait

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
All night glued to the cameras. Worried... almost went out at 4am to do a sweep...
I am so tired. Need sleep.
Prynne had twin bucks! GW's plan of ensuring we got a buck was a good one but geesh, Prynne, 1 doe would have been nice.
Prynne is blaming Kiegh.
Here are the two boys.
F-1 50/50% Miniature Lamanchas
These boys are big! They each took 10oz. :eek:
View attachment 59925
: celebrate
Jace who has to plan for bucks I'm so sick of bucks. I was 19 and for last year and I'm still over on boys this year but at least I've got a few girls praise the Lord.

Daxigait

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Thank you.

I got some more pics of the babies! They are a few hours old here. Can't wait to see them in a week.
I love the "bracelets" on the one boy!
They weren't sure how they felt about that grass.
Now we have a hard decision to make... which out of the 3 f-1's (Charlotte's buck and Prynne's 2) will we keep????
View attachment 59949 View attachment 59950 View attachment 59951 View attachment 59952 View attachment 59953 View attachment 59954 View attachment 59955 View attachment 59956
Unfortunately with kids you better wait a while make sure they all make it.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Unfortunately with kids you better wait a while make sure they all make it.

We wait til a kid is disbudded first before letting them leave. Bottle babies only go to those that know how.
If a kid is born healthy there is no reason it should die unless it is an accidental death. We have never had any kid that left our farm die or get sick. We have had a kid that after anesthesia (when we use to have them sedated for disbudding) was never right ... we had him euthanized and necropsied. Nothing was ever found, just weird. I do think we are very picky though and our clients are awesome and very conscientious.

I will want to pick soon though because I love the boys and have a bad habit of keeping them. We also have people on a waiting list. I will probably hold out til Bingo and Strawberry's kids are born ( they are both minis) and may just sell a mini herd. :)

Nice udder.. I need some of that rear udder arch please ;)
This is why I am just working on so many separate lines for the minis. It is really hard to find minis with a good high escutcheon.
I like to say I want that escutcheon kissin' that vulva! :lol:

Daxigait

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
We wait til a kid is disbudded first before letting them leave. Bottle babies only go to those that know how.
If a kid is born healthy there is no reason it should die unless it is an accidental death. We have never had any kid that left our farm die or get sick. We have had a kid that after anesthesia (when we use to have them sedated for disbudding) was never right ... we had him euthanized and necropsied. Nothing was ever found, just weird. I do think we are very picky though and our clients are awesome and very conscientious.

I will want to pick soon though because I love the boys and have a bad habit of keeping them. We also have people on a waiting list. I will probably hold out til Bingo and Strawberry's kids are born ( they are both minis) and may just sell a mini herd. :)

This is why I am just working on so many separate lines for the minis. It is really hard to find minis with a good high escutcheon.
I like to say I want that escutcheon kissin' that vulva! :lol:
I guess you are just blessed and should count your blessings. Esther had a backside like that, and she was disbudded by a vet who raises goats and has done hundreds. And I lost her to it. I just ment you never know.
As for the boys I understand that problem. I currently have 7 got to narrow it down to three or four between that and the AI stuff I'm doing.