Heads on a swivel you folks on Eastern Seaboard. Flo's coming.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
. The mess can be dealt with, any damage can be dealt with, but the important thing is that y'all are safe.

I agree and glad all humans are ok. Assume animals are also, as I have heard nothing contrary. Yes, what a mess to clean up!!

Water scares me with unseen powers in these happenings. The strength of the torrents is just unbelievable. Fast and unrelenting, unstoppable.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Florence pretty much settled the pine needle problem there, I think. I'm not sure there are any pines close enough to drop needles on that one any more. Probably won't have to get pine needles out of the gutter on the house any more, either.- the last tree at one end of the house is on the trampoline, while at the other end the tree is leaning so badly it'll have to be taken down .
Better the trampoline that the house. At our old house, we were surrounded by large oaks. Hurricanes, old age and hurricane damage brought them down. Many were taken down to keep them from falling. We sure missed their shade in the heat of the summer.

The good part here is that they didn't fall on the house. The bad part is that you will miss the shade they provided.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
We heard the Waldmans had to evacuate
They let their animals loose
We are seeing if we can help
I don't know them, but did you find out anything about the Waldmans? It is especially tough to be older and have to leave and not know how your animals are doing. Because you know you are not as capable to do things that will need doing as a younger stronger person..... Believe me, I know now since having the joint issues, that I am not as capable as I was 2-3 years ago.

Bunnylady

Herd Master
Reaction score
Better the trampoline that the house. At our old house, we were surrounded by large oaks. Hurricanes, old age and hurricane damage brought them down. Many were taken down to keep them from falling. We sure missed their shade in the heat of the summer.

The good part here is that they didn't fall on the house. The bad part is that you will miss the shade they provided.
Not just the shade; the character they added will be missed. There are a lot fewer trees than when we moved here. Some, we worked pretty hard to keep. Disease and insects have taken quite a few, as has lightning. The tree on the shed roof got hit in a storm this past summer
20180612_160044.jpg

We had hoped maybe since the charge took the last few feet through the shed, the tree might be spared, but it was beginning to discolor, so we knew it would have to go. Dropping it without damage was going to be tricky . . . Obviously, Florence wasn't as picky about placement. The big pine at the end of the chicken run got snapped, too
20180917_174220.jpg

It got hit a couple of years ago. Maybe the wood got weakened somehow. My "skyline" keeps changing - this time, in a major way.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
The advantage of pines is they are soft wood, so they have some "give" in the wind and can bend up to a point... The disadvantage is they are soft wood, so they aren't as strong/sturdy as hardwood, and as a result are more prone to diseases that weaken them (further) and they "snap/break" easier under heavy wind loads. The hard woods don't snap very often but are more prone to having their root balls pulled up as the whole tree goes over. Sorry you have so much damage there, but glad it wasn't worse, and no human/animal casualties. If the "skyline" never changed, you might get bored with it. ;) Hope all the folks mentioned who had worse issues pulled through OK.

Last edited:

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
I broke ground for this house Nov 10 2008, 58 days after Hurricane Ike came thru. I made sure there isn't a tree in my yard or close enough to it to fall on my house, shop or closest barn. If I want shade, I'll sit on the porch or in the house where the A/C.

This is what trees are good for IMO, and falling on fences and cars and houses. Had 2 of these to clean up in pastures, about 100' feet from each other after a straight line windstorm in 2015, both tops caught up on a high stump. Weren't fun.
treefalldown.jpg

notreesdon.jpg

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
I don't know them, but did you find out anything about the Waldmans? It is especially tough to be older and have to leave and not know how your animals are doing. Because you know you are not as capable to do things that will need doing as a younger stronger person..... Believe me, I know now since having the joint issues, that I am not as capable as I was 2-3 years ago.

As of this morning, they still have not been able to get back to their property.
They are under a lot of stress not knowing if their animals are OK.