Heads on a swivel you folks on Eastern Seaboard. Flo's coming.

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
I think it's going to be bad
Real bad
My thoughts on it as well. It's not a matter of 'if'..........it's just and only a matter of where.

I'm also keeping an eye on Issac and this un-named little jewel...

Showers and thunderstorms over the northwestern Caribbean Sea,
western Cuba, and the Yucatan Peninsula of Mexico are associated
with a surface trough and are showing some signs of organization.
This system is forecast to move slowly northwestward across the
Yucatan Peninsula on Tuesday with limited development. Upper-level
winds are forecast to become more conducive for development later in
the week, and a tropical depression could form on Thursday or Friday
while the disturbance moves across the western Gulf of Mexico.
Interests across northeastern Mexico and the coast of Texas and
Louisiana should monitor the progress of this system. Regardless of
development, heavy rainfall and gusty winds are likely over western
Cuba and the Yucatan Peninsula through Tuesday.

Last edited:

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm 75 miles from Bunnylady. I remember the flooding there and I live right outside of Franklin, Va, which has a river going thru it (Blackwater River). In '99 that hurricane had so much rain that the river was something like 22' over flood stage, with runoff and all. The town had water up to 2nd story of downtown buildings. My own farm was wet but not in any way flooded. However, roads in & out were. I was living in a little camper trailer while building my house. :eek:

This little town is sure feeling concerns with the huge rain predicted on top of current stuff. There was a great amount of flood control implemented after that hurricane but if you live in the hole on the banks of a river -- well, you're gonna get wet!

Hope you guys in NC can get selves & animals onto higher ground to ride this out.

I set up a large hay rack in the goat barn yesterday. Holds a large square bale easily -- spread out. So everyone can eat ok and it's pretty good with waste. No one can climb in it except a couple hens who decided to lay their eggs there today. :D =D They won't with the goats all inside but I had them enjoying another pasture with lots of browse & grass. Tomorrow too -- it helps keep the new shavings cleaner and they don't want hay when full of other goodies. -- save that.

Will set some big water troughs up for flushing, etc. That helps to allow generator to power A/Cs rather than well, until showers, etc. I have it to plug into house circuit but control breakers/appliances with big draw, when a 220 is needed. It is all a huge inconvenience! :caf I'm certain net will be interrupted. Storms do that with satellite service. None of this is sounding good. At least I'm not looking at having to boat out and have animals swimming like GB last year. Now THAT makes this seem far milder.

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
Cell phones generally still work if the power outage isn't 100% grid wide, and if you are on sat, it works 'much more gooder' here. Land lines usually still work too, tho the ringer may not. At least provide plenty with some contact info.
Stay safe, stay dry.

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
Lightening and thunder here since 7 pm... rain and rain and rain... hurricane hasn't even hit yet. :th
Probably not from Florence, but it would be helpful if the storm hit in an area that was bone dry.
You are a long long ways from 25.9 N 62.4 W and there's blue water with no clouds between NC and Florence yet. Like most moisture events, what you (and I) are currently getting is coming off that moisture maker called Gulf of Mexico which is still being pulled in by a big low that is really the leftover Gordon. .
upload_2018-9-10_23-54-10.png

3 named storms visible and one that wants to be. That disorganized looking mess barely east of Yucatan is going to be my next weather maker.

The Tidewater and even Chesapeake regions are beginning to look more favorable as a landing point for Florence.

Last edited:

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
It is cloudy and CALM.... the calm before the storm. It is so STILL , yesterday was perfectly quiet and still and this morning is the same... you feel like it is waiting for something.... and we are. We will not get anything like what the coast is bracing for, but they are saying anywhere from 5 to 15 inches of rain here with winds from 30 to 75 mph....If it stalls we could get devastating amounts of rain also. Again, NOTHING like what the coast is bracing for but still very significant for here. Going out to pick up some extra feed this morning and will test a farm this aft. and do another one tomorrow instead of Thurs., then batten down the hatches. Praying for the ones closer to the coast. We are 150 + miles directly west from the coast, with a mountain range inbetween, and twice that from where it is expected to come ashore.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Land line phones usually work if you have an old fashioned phone that does not have a plug for electricity, like for a cordless phone. When hurricane Rita threatened Houston and millions of people hit the road, the town we used to live in was over run with frightened people who ran out of gas and were stranded. I spent nights at our church to help out. The multiline phones did not work. I mentioned that if anyone had a regular phone, it would work. A lady that worked at the town library remembered seeing one in the back room on a shelf, so we went to go get it. Sure enough, it did work and people we sheltered were able to call friends and family to let them know that they were ok.

So this might be a good time to buy a cheap phone that has no fancy frills, just to have around.