Help- Swelling after dog attack (goat)

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yeah, I would think double fencing should be adequate. A 4ft perimeter and a 5ft internal for goats ...
Obviously the dog was bent on getting to the goats. Sadly this happens way too often and not downing the breed but Pitts are high on the list for these kinds of attacks on livestock. :(
LGD's are not always the solution however they are an incredible deterrent. If your property and environment warrant LGD's that may be an option.
The goat does need to be seen as brain swelling could be a factor. The police report and addressing the owners of the dog will be necessary.
Very sorry you have had to go through this. It sounds like you tried to make things as secure as you could. :hugs

Savageacres

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
*Update*

Savy is doing much better. The swelling has gone down and she is eating and drinking. Today she did a little hopping and tried to make friends with the rabbits (lonely without her sissy). The wounds are not oozing. I think the swelling was just from the actual trauma, but we started her on pen G just in case. She had had her first CD&T, and was just due for here second, so I gave that too.

The dog... Our neighbors confessed that he had a history of killing wild turkeys and squirrels. Because this was clearly an escalating situation, they decided to surrender the dog. We had already alerted animal control, but had not told them about it yet. Once they came over and explained that the dog had gone to the shelter, we called and told them we had handled it between ourselves and a citation would not be necessary. The shelter must have notified animal control, because they were already aware of the surrender. The incident is on record, but the neighbor did not get cited. Honestly, I think we all handled it very well. We just moved to this property and this could have soured what will probably be a long relationship. No one wants to have bad blood with neighbors.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
*Update*

Savy is doing much better. The swelling has gone down and she is eating and drinking. Today she did a little hopping and tried to make friends with the rabbits (lonely without her sissy). The wounds are not oozing. I think the swelling was just from the actual trauma, but we started her on pen G just in case. She had had her first CD&T, and was just due for here second, so I gave that too.

The dog... Our neighbors confessed that he had a history of killing wild turkeys and squirrels. Because this was clearly an escalating situation, they decided to surrender the dog. We had already alerted animal control, but had not told them about it yet. Once they came over and explained that the dog had gone to the shelter, we called and told them we had handled it between ourselves and a citation would not be necessary. The shelter must have notified animal control, because they were already aware of the surrender. The incident is on record, but the neighbor did not get cited. Honestly, I think we all handled it very well. We just moved to this property and this could have soured what will probably be a long relationship. No one wants to have bad blood with neighbors.

I think you and the neighbor handled the situation very well! I agree, first try to work it out among yourselves then if that cannot happen go the next step.
Sadly too many people won't acknowledge their dog is responsible even when they know it.

A dog going after turkeys and squirrels is normal really but if it passes those things and will go through fences to get to something then there is a problem.
Glad your girl is on the mend.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Even though the offending dog is no longer an issue, you may want to at least consider putting up a hot wire above the existing perimeter fencing, just in case, to deter future events. Truly sorry you had to deal with this, but I think how you handled it was very admirable. Best wishes going forward.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Whew! Neighbor crisis averted! Glad that they are reasonable people and decided to get rid of the dog. I hope y'all can become good friends, good neighbors are a wonderful thing to have. That is good news about your goat, glad that she is doing better.

BrendaMNgri

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Even though the offending dog is no longer an issue, you may want to at least consider putting up a hot wire above the existing perimeter fencing, just in case, to deter future events.

My thoughts, exactly. The fencing in place obviously did not deter a determined dog, so I would hardly call it adequate.
A large determined predator could do the same. Get your fencing reinforced first. Put your money into that, before you go livestock shopping.

Ron Bequeath

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Hi,

We are new to goats (NDGs) and have already had our first tragedy. The neighbors' giant pit jumped out outer 4 ft fence, and the goats' 5 ft fence on Saturday evening. He killed out black and white spotted doeling (Dot) outright and injured her sister (Savy). She has puncture wounds on both sides of her head that we have been treating saline and triple antibiotic. The wounds are closing, despite our cleanings, and today one side of her face seemed pretty swollen. I know trauma can take a little while to swell and there are no overt signs of infection, but we started her on penicillin just in case. She was more active yesterday though. I am thinking the swelling is increasing her soreness. What can I give to help with swelling/pain- children's Ibuprofen? She's about 20 lbs.

Thanks!
I know your little lady should be healed by now. But something my mother taught me when around 8. If you have an infection and the animal can't rub the area or you can apply tape to it to hold it on apply a poltis of bread dipped in milk and plaster it on the area where open lesions are present. Leave it on over night and then remove in the morning and re set if needed. This will also remove boils, splinters, and will clean deep cuts on humans.