Help! Vet's Out til Mon - What am I dealing with?!? (VET UPDATE pg8)

Emmetts Dairy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Looks like he's been peeing blood? Poor guy. I would keep dosing the with the FF...and order some amonium chloride to add to his feed..above whats in there.

Also passing those will definately be risk for infection...cuts and brusing on the way out! :hit That must hurt so bad. OUCH!!

Poor boy...It dos'nt look pleasant at all!!!

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
Emmetts Dairy said:
Looks like he's been peeing blood? Poor guy. I would keep dosing the with the FF...and order some amonium chloride to add to his feed..above whats in there.

Also passing those will definately be risk for infection...cuts and brusing on the way out! :hit That must hurt so bad. OUCH!!

Poor boy...It dos'nt look pleasant at all!!!
I'm not sure that he's been peeing blood...the discoloration could be from the baby butt cream I used it's got sort of a reddish golden tint to it...

I ordered the AC yesterday.

He's such a good little trooper!

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
It is certainly looking better. Hydrangea root on a regular basis should help keep it away once you get things cleared up. I hope everything works out.

Caprice_Acres

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
You can get ammonium chloride by the 25lb bag at a grain elevator. It's often added to grain mixes. I bought a partial bag (14lbs) for about 7.00 I think. It'll last FOREVER.

I mix it in with the free choice loose minerals, at a fairly high rate. The does don't get any until after they've kidded and have bucklings nursing on them. Then I add it to the minearals again.

Make sure you balance your Calcium: Phosphorous ratios in the future. Offer alfalfa/grass mix hay, and that is likely adequate for bucklings/wethers, IMO.

Usually feeds with Ammonium Chloride do not have adequate amounts. That's why also adding it to the mineral mix is necessary.

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
Caprice_Acres said:
You can get ammonium chloride by the 25lb bag at a grain elevator. It's often added to grain mixes. I bought a partial bag (14lbs) for about 7.00 I think. It'll last FOREVER.

I mix it in with the free choice loose minerals, at a fairly high rate. The does don't get any until after they've kidded and have bucklings nursing on them. Then I add it to the minearals again.

Make sure you balance your Calcium: Phosphorous ratios in the future. Offer alfalfa/grass mix hay, and that is likely adequate for bucklings/wethers, IMO.

Usually feeds with Ammonium Chloride do not have adequate amounts. That's why also adding it to the mineral mix is necessary.
My feed and my minerals both contain AC. My hay is either grass / alfalfa mix or grass/ clover / alfalfa mix depending on supplier.

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
Update: Today Snickers seems to be doing much better. Still peeing. Swelling is down a lot. No crystals on his outer hair. He's still eating hay and drinking lots of water.

I'll be calling the vet first thing to get him in and we'll find out for sure what's going on at that point...I hope :fl

Thanks everyone!

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
Snickers is still doing well. Still swollen and that's a concern for me...

He has a vet appointment at 2:30 today :fl

cmjust0

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Is he swollen along the whole length of his weiner, or is it just localized swelling at the end of the sheath? If it's local, coulda just been simple urine scald the whole time.

If his whole weiner is swollen, tell the vet to put him on a round of dexamethasone. I think it's 1ml/20lbs or so, IM. Keep him on it for about a week, tapering off the dose down over the last couplethree days. Keep him on antibiotic - PenG works well for urinary stuff as that's it's main route of elimination -- for the duration of the round of dex. Dex brings down swelling, but it weakens the immune system, hence the need for an accompanying antibiotic.