hernia or abscess? photos on #9

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
One of my 8 week old sable point velveteen lops has an abscess on his stomach. I am thinking I need to cull him. I was researching thinking I could treat with bi cillin but looks like treatmentioned is 8+ weeks....
hate to do it but I know it's probably best. Anyone have any success with at home treatment?

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Do you know what caused it? A scratch or injury of some sort or an internal issue? Maybe you can lance it and drain it then let it heal? If it's not a contagious issue, That's probably what I'd try to do.

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
It's grown quite a bit, very sensitive....though squishy like fat. Idk I had one in another bunny in January, we culled him for other reasons and didn't recheck his belly. I might try lancing it. At this moment he has the longest ears of the 4 boys. :( my guess is its from tussling with his brothers or from the umbilical cord. Any rabbit breeder knows that absesses in rabbits is common, though I agree the stomach is not. :idunno

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
"Squishy" doesn't sound like puss... :hu Any abcess I've ever dealt with was normally pretty hard, like under pressure "solid" pus... Maybe it could be an air pocket? Really curious to find out what it is when you determine it...

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
NCM_0811.JPG
it's not grown for a couple of days, and still is squishy.... so am leaning towards it being a hernia.

Any thoughts on his use as a brood buck?
@Samantha drawz @Ferguson K

Last edited:

Bossroo

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Consider the replacement cost of the rabbit VS. office visit to Vet. + surgery + medication + after surgery hospital care costs + the rabbit will die sooner or later in any case = CULL

Latest posts