frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
Uh....we buy the same kind/size and I roll them
:bow

There can be a huge weight difference even in bales that are the same size. I have had bales that were rolled so loosely that a slight wind can blow them apart....and others that are rolled so tightly that I can't even pull hay off of them by hand. Those bales can't be rolled by hand.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
It is easier to let the horses toss hay! LOL LOL

I have looked for old hay bales since we moved here. Hay SELLS!

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
It is easier to let the horses toss hay! LOL LOL

I have looked for old hay bales since we moved here. Hay SELLS!

Yep, even the old, mulch hay is selling right now. That's how I know it was the hand of God for me to get 15 large round bales for free this past year. Turns out, that old rotten mulch hay is a better quality than what I bought for feed this year....I know who I'll buy round bales off of next year.

These three found part of one in the garden and started eating it like it was their last meal....
1573527260802.png

Last edited:

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
After a lot of rain and unseasonably warm temps this winter, I'm starting to see grass growing through the hay I rolled out on areas where mostly moss usually grows. At this time of the year, nothing usually shows any growth there as the moss goes dormant.....but right now I see a faint haze of green showing through the gold/buff color of the hay on the ground. Very exciting!!!

Not a seed planted but what was in the hay, nor any lime spread to kill the moss and turn the soil less acidic. Just old hay!

I moved a bit of the hay to one side to see these fragile green shoots of grass and they are already 3 in. long! They'll likely get frosted but at least I know they are establishing some roots under there and will recover in the spring.

Will definitely be scouring the ads for more mulch hay in the spring to roll out on the land, particularly in places where we have timbered and no grass at all currently exists. What an easy way to get better grass with very little money or effort involved!

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
We have about a foot of loose hay in the sheep barn. We are going to rake it up, spread it in the horse pasture, then dig out the barn to spread the manure/compost in the garden. Then rebed with leaves and start the process all over.

We have a half round bale that got wet, on the back of the Kawasaki mule that we are going to lay out on the pipeline where we now put the horses round bales. Then they can poop all over it and stomp it into the ground. Where we have moved their hay bales, leaving the dropped hay behind, is sprouting a green sheen, but I think it is mostly rye grass, it won't last over the spring/summer.

Congrats on the new sprouting grass, Bee. It takes time to grow good pasture, patience and work pays off. It may not sound like much to other people, but here on BYH, we know the value of good soil and new grass. You gotta love a place like this where you can find people with the same affliction as yours. LOL LOL

On our new pasture on the side, between the house and the sheep barn, the rye grass is lush, green and beautiful. I got giant Bermuda established there last summer, I can't wait to see how it comes back in the spring. I am saving this pasture until the grass is tall, then I'll only let the sheep at it for 1 hour at a time, keeping baking soda out, to prevent bloat.

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
Bay, I can't wait to see your pics of all that hay sprouting in the spring! That's the one thing lacking with this hay of mine that's sprouting and that's the hoof action and the addition of poop and pee. Can't wait to get fencing up so I can move them out there and get some poop where it matters most.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
It won't stay sprouted for long, the horses hooves are keeping it pretty well plowed up. We are going to have to put up new fence around the barn to keep them off the grass in the horse pasture (when we plant it and it comes up) but still give them access to their barn. They love their barn, especially Joe. At 30 years old, with Cushings disease, Joe truly loves his barn. I used to promise him a barn, a REAL barn, not the neighbor's, who let us run the horses on his 20 acres at our old place, but his very OWN BARN. I am glad that I was able to keep that promise to him. I hope he lives long enough to finally graze in his OWN pasture, in deep lush grass. I take him out and put him in the yard and in the sheep pasture, but I want him to have unlimited graze, all he wants. That's his eye in my avatar. I love my boy!