Hoof trimming help

B&B Happy goats

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Kalimak , I look at their hoofs every month, and trim even a little if needed, it gets them more comfortable with my picking up their feet, and with the wet weather we have been having , it gives me a moment to check for signs of any problems.....after all , We are in Florida :)

Kalimak

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
@Kalimak , I look at their hoofs every month, and trim even a little if needed, it gets them more comfortable with my picking up their feet, and with the wet weather we have been having , it gives me a moment to check for signs of any problems.....after all , We are in Florida :)

Very true, our weather kinda has no mercy when it comes to this. Today I wasn’t happy at all with all what was stuck in their hooves, I trimmed and cleaned and will be checking them more often than I have before. Speaking of comfortable, mine are kicking bad still, I hope they get used to it at some point.

Hipshot

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm trimming my goats hooves (fairly new to this) and I realized the heel part is round and kind of growing sideways onto the other toe now (please see attached picture) How do I go about this? I tried trimming a bit of it and I saw it's white inside - and was scared to dig deeper before I seek some help. Can I trim the black part/heel you see in the picture?

View attachment 65286
IKR behind the times .pretty sure what we are looking at there is a grow over of the heel.
hoofdiagram.jpg
If you haven't seen it before .The wall can grow enough to cover the entire sole . The white line where the wall meets the sole. That is your trim marker so to speak .The heel wall should stop at the sole. You can trim the sole back to clean white sole With A very sharp sole knife . the same one used on horses. You must be careful no not to go to far. Try to trim the feet to the natural angle .

Yes, whatever is needed to get the job done.

$27 At TSC seems a good budget deal, but options are nice too
You can go on line to different supply companies. Remember you get what you pay for . there should be no gap between the cutting edge of hoof nippers . Hold them up to the light ,if you see a light between cutting edges .Time to get out the file ad do some filing on the stop shoulders, that keep the edges from by passing . And you should wipe or spray with oil between uses.