Horse trail riding?

Bird_Lover_17

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Just curious, does anyone have any tips for horse trail riding/ horse camping? :)

Kusanar

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Make sure you take feed if you will be gone for longer than a few hours, make sure your horse is shod or has tough hooves if going over rough terrain, remember that horses need to be fit to "hike" the same as humans (don't leave them in the field for a month and then go for a 10 mile ride). If you are going to be riding in sensitive areas you should feed weed free hay for a few days prior to make sure you aren't leaving weed seeds in droppings.

Any specific questions you have? It's kind of a big subject to just try to list everything.

Bird_Lover_17

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Make sure you take feed if you will be gone for longer than a few hours, make sure your horse is shod or has tough hooves if going over rough terrain, remember that horses need to be fit to "hike" the same as humans (don't leave them in the field for a month and then go for a 10 mile ride). If you are going to be riding in sensitive areas you should feed weed free hay for a few days prior to make sure you aren't leaving weed seeds in droppings.

Any specific questions you have? It's kind of a big subject to just try to list everything.
Thanks for the tips, I mainly was just wondering the basics to trail riding :)

KayL

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Like Kusanar said, it’s a very broad subject, so you’re probably going to gather a good many generalized answers. There’s a lot to know! I found some videos off YouTube I thought may be relevant to your question, and think they do a pretty good job explaining a few different things.

-Horse Training on the Trail (with Lisa Gentile) by Weaver

-Dos and Donts of Trail Riding by Equestrian Life

-Horseback Trail Riding Tips for Safety by JSHorsemanship