How big are newborn goats?

jodief100

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Roll farms said:
I think if I had a 2# kid I'd smooch / squeeze / love it to death.
Me too! I want minis but Hubby won't let me. He is afraid I won't send them to auction if they don't sell. He is probably right.

My kiko kids are 4-10 lbs and my boers are 6-12 lbs.

Sunny & the 5 egg layers

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
RPC wrote:
What breed of goats do you have? For the mini's I would say the chihuahua coay would be close to right on. and then for standards maybe a size small so like a yorkie I would say 6-9 pounds is average for a boer. I know I had a 5 pounder and a 10 1/2 pounder last year. It just depends.
I actually do not have any goats at the moment. I am getting prepared for when I do. I am not exactly sure what breed I will end up getting. Most likely an Alpine though I also like Nigerian Dwarfs. But I have heard that Nigerian Dwarfs are harder to milk for newbies like me as their teats are smaller. So I will most likely go with a bigger breed such as an Alpine or Toggenburg. :) Thank you for your input.

SmallFarmGirl

Smiley Crazy
Reaction score
Sunny & the 5 egg layers said:
RPC wrote:
What breed of goats do you have? For the mini's I would say the chihuahua coay would be close to right on. and then for standards maybe a size small so like a yorkie I would say 6-9 pounds is average for a boer. I know I had a 5 pounder and a 10 1/2 pounder last year. It just depends.
I actually do not have any goats at the moment. I am getting prepared for when I do. I am not exactly sure what breed I will end up getting. Most likely an Alpine though I also like Nigerian Dwarfs. But I have heard that Nigerian Dwarfs are harder to milk for newbies like me as their teats are smaller. So I will most likely go with a bigger breed such as an Alpine or Toggenburg. :) Thank you for your input.
I'm getting Nigerians and I'm new !! I love their small stature and their loving personalities .. I'll be milking Mine !!

lilhill

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
RPC wrote:
All Nigerians don't have small teats. ;) This is my NC PromisedLand doe, Fiona.
470_fiona4.jpg

SmallFarmGirl

Smiley Crazy
Reaction score
lilhill said:
RPC wrote:
http://www.backyardherds.com/forum/uploads/470_fiona4.jpg
They're are Nigerians with large teats !! ;) You just have to check them to see if they have a goat milking family and good udder and teats !!

ETA: That is a great looking doe you got there ! :D

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
Since you're figuring out what size to knit sweaters...I have a handful of dog sweaters that I bought at Walmart that I use for my pygmies if they're needed. Sizes are XS, S, M. You could go to Walmart and get the measurements right off the sweaters that they have ;)

Hillsvale

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
lilhill said:
RPC wrote:
God you should have put a warning on this post ! :lol:

Sunny & the 5 egg layers

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
lilhill said:
RPC wrote:
You goat people sure like to show off your does' udders! :lol: How much milk does your girl give you?

Sunny & the 5 egg layers

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
elevan said:
Since you're figuring out what size to knit sweaters...I have a handful of dog sweaters that I bought at Walmart that I use for my pygmies if they're needed. Sizes are XS, S, M. You could go to Walmart and get the measurements right off the sweaters that they have ;)
Good idea! I wonder if they would have measurments on Walmart's website? I will have to check it out.

lilhill

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
See! You just gotta look around and get those strong milk lines with great udders in the pedigrees.