How do you deal with frozen water?

Carla D

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Here’s our “keep the hydrant from freezing” system. 81FCEC2E-4F2F-464B-8482-C739AE50A719.jpegC0653936-A937-4D88-9D25-D4C2D7BCF6D4.jpeg

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
Heat tape!! It is not expensive!! You make it for as long as the dish is that you want tent freeze. Then the man doue the actual cutting process. HHe whines for is minutr...things are fine...then whah laaa!b you should heat tape made long enough for all of your feeders...chickens, ducks, goats, pot belly pigs, geese, rooster, cockers, pullets, and evening digs

YourRabbitGirl

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
If your pipes are frozen, don't let them thaw on their own. let the faucet slightly turned on. I noticed that animals find freezing water undesirable to consume, This might cause serious dehydration. we don' want that do we?

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
Use a blow dryer on the pipes. The water bottle with sale has been working pretty well for me...not in our super cold tend not in the smaller bowls..but, it definitely slows down the freezing. and my pot belly pigs have not touched them. I haven’t put one in the Hampshire pig because I’m pretty sure he would eat it...

YourRabbitGirl

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Use a blow dryer on the pipes. The water bottle with sale has been working pretty well for me...not in our super cold tend not in the smaller bowls..but, it definitely slows down the freezing. and my pot belly pigs have not touched them. I haven’t put one in the Hampshire pig because I’m pretty sure he would eat it...
if you had ice on the floor from the drips, where were the drips coming from?
is there a spigot further up on the line that works? I have only had frozen pipes once, but then again, I am in a warmer climate.

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
if you had ice on the floor from the drips, where were the drips coming from?
is there a spigot further up on the line that works? I have only had frozen pipes once, but then again, I am in a warmer climate.
Not sure where said drips. up here, temps get really low...you have to remember to open cabinets on those nights...but sometimes pipes just freeze. My father in laws pipes always freeze. They have a well with poopy plumbing and he insists on calling my hubby. Chris runs a blow dryer on the pipes to war them them up and you let the water run a bit for awhile. we used to get frozen pipes in our movie theater because the building is super old...but he changed all plumbing to the plastic pipes...it’s blue and red...can’t think of name...easier to work with...doesn’t freeze..but I think it’s more expensive. But I think it lasts longer too. But for outside with animals, we pump our water from the pond with a Honda motor into those 300 gallon tanks...use heat tape to keep it from freezing. I’ve had few issues, and it’s not been the water, but the plastic handle.

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Not sure where said drips. up here, temps get really low...you have to remember to open cabinets on those nights...but sometimes pipes just freeze. My father in laws pipes always freeze. They have a well with poopy plumbing and he insists on calling my hubby. Chris runs a blow dryer on the pipes to war them them up and you let the water run a bit for awhile. we used to get frozen pipes in our movie theater because the building is super old...but he changed all plumbing to the plastic pipes...it’s blue and red...can’t think of name...easier to work with...doesn’t freeze..but I think it’s more expensive. But I think it lasts longer too. But for outside with animals, we pump our water from the pond with a Honda motor into those 300 gallon tanks...use heat tape to keep it from freezing. I’ve had few issues, and it’s not been the water, but the plastic handle.

The blue and red stuff is pex(comes in many colors). It can actually freeze our trailer had it...we put it in and it froze many many times. It does need to be colder to freeze and it won't burst but it will likely push off a fitting which you will need to re-crimp back on or have leaking.

The OP said froze drips from using the hydrant....Im thinking whatever water is coming out of the hose to drain after each use was the reference?

Last edited:

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
Ohhh, didn’t see about a hydrant...I remembered the word pen as soon as I got to the barn...lol... I suppose I did know Chris has to crimp it a lot, but I didn’t realize it froze too...maybe I just thought it was still the old pipes....perhaps should pay better attention??

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Ohhh, didn’t see about a hydrant...I remembered the word pen as soon as I got to the barn...lol... I suppose I did know Chris has to crimp it a lot, but I didn’t realize it froze too...maybe I just thought it was still the old pipes....perhaps should pay better attention??

Pex is still a lot nicer then pipes and easier to fix. You find whatever fitting was forced off when it froze, slip the fitting off all the way stick on a crimp ring and shove the fitting back in then crimp it...then thaw the line. Its usually just one fitting.

I think you pay fine attention, my DH does stuff I'm not clear on too! We have many "conversationaments" about things I assume. :lol:

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
Pex is still a lot nicer then pipes and easier to fix. You find whatever fitting was forced off when it froze, slip the fitting off all the way stick on a crimp ring and shove the fitting back in then crimp it...then thaw the line. Its usually just one fitting.

I think you pay fine attention, my DH does stuff I'm not clear on too! We have many "conversationaments" about things I assume. :lol:
Well, we own many apartments..so, he’s always talking about plumbing, etc...it gets a bit boring sometimes, but don’t tell him! I like the car and truck stuff though!