How do you deal with frozen water?

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
We had pigs when I was growing up off grid and we never even had electricity. Grandma didn't have electric to her barn either, nor water, and she had pigs down there. Pigs are kind of easy....you just slop them with plenty of water and they eat their feed and water at the same time. No added water needed at that time throughout the day. Morning and evening, water in the feed.

We did the same with dogs....water in their food and that kept them hydrated. Nowadays I have heated buckets but I still take up hot water and mix with their food on really cold days.

The sheep have heated bucket for really cold days but coolers and nipple cups for days when it doesn't freeze, the chickens have a heated dog bowl and the ducks sample out of all of these that are in their reach....the dog bucket and sheep bucket are NOT in their reach, as they foul all water they drink from.

My chickens eat wet feed every day, so their water needs are little but they still have the heated bowl and buckets if needed.

But, for the pigs, I'd just water them in the same trough you feed in, morning and night and problem solved. For the rest, invest in heated buckets and bowls....worth the investment, last for years and give you peace of mind about the water.

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yeah, this morning our breaker was thrown to the barn. The ducks had nibbled through their heat tape! Unreal!! I would think the chickens would do that before the ducks! Crazy!

Latest posts