How much milk is too much? Help!

MaryZoe

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Hello, I've read all about how dangerous it is to overfeed kids, and I've checked the recommended feeding schedules for baby goats, but my week old mini-Nubians act like they're starving still when I feed the suggested quantities. Should I feed them as much as they seem to want, or cut them off at the 6 - 7 oz. point?

dejavoodoo114

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Well, that is really up to you. Kids are pigs. I will sometimes add more, especially for the larger kids. But I watch their stool carefully. I can tell if I am feeding too much milk if their stool starts getting loose. I don't let it get to the point where they have scours. If you want to increase it some I would suggest doing it slowly and keeping a very close eye on their stool. That way you can adjust accordingly. Then you can decide if you want to feed on a specific schedule or let them figure it out.

Honestly, by the time my kids are 3-4 weeks, I am feeding them all (within the same age) out of a bucket or pan. I have done this for 3 years now and have not had problems. They fight each other to get to the milk and the stronger ones can/will push the others out of the way. I have found this much easier and haven't ended up with scours or any other issues even though I add plenty of extra milk to take care of the slower drinkers. I switched to this because we had too many kids for bottle feeding with out a lot of human help.:hu

MaryZoe

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Thanks. I will increase their feedings slowly; I feel bad when they continue to bump me and their bottles are empty. And I'll watch their stool carefully. Thank you for the feeding help.