Huacaya alpacas?

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have seen that picture before but the problem is by squeezing everything in on such a small property you have no chance to let the soil rest, do crop rotation, or let parasites die off.I think it is a neat starting point but long term seems like it would be very time consuming. Maybe I just have my brain stuck on the pig pen... Which is way too small. Maybe putting rabbits where the pigs are makes it better haha I don't know... Just my first impression.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
100 lbs of honey...HA HA. Depends on where you live, not likely to get that in CA.

TAH

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have seen that picture before but the problem is by squeezing everything in on such a small property you have no chance to let the soil rest, do crop rotation, or let parasites die off.I think it is a neat starting point but long term seems like it would be very time consuming. Maybe I just have my brain stuck on the pig pen... Which is way too small. Maybe putting rabbits where the pigs are makes it better haha I don't know... Just my first impression.
We will be able to let the soil rest, we will be feeding hay all winter. We are also not doing pigs so that will help.

Later today I will put what we are doing our on a map.

luvmypets

Herd Master
Reaction score
Right I just was looking at the 1/4 acre picture going by that. Not saying you don't have space :)
Now that I have my hogs I think that way too. Our mangalitsas are bred from wild boar, so they naturally root like crazy!

Reactions: TAH

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hogs are thought to be dirty and smelly but if you give them space they're rather clean. And seeing how excited they are when you move them to fresh grass to root, I wouldn't want to keep them in a little pen!

TAH

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hogs are thought to be dirty and smelly but if you give them space they're rather clean. And seeing how excited they are when you move them to fresh grass to root, I wouldn't want to keep them in a little pen!
Our friends had 4 acres for there pigs and they were very clean looking animals.

luvmypets

Herd Master
Reaction score
We our expanding our pen so they will have like 3x the room, plus fresh grass! I give it a week before it is a desolate wasteland. We call their current area "the moonscape"

Latest posts