Hurricane Harvey

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
Honestly....having been thru several hurricanes living in central Florida, including the year that 4 hit in '05....I believe....I just can't imagine enduring one with animals. I sure hope it all turns out okay for ALL concerned and no problems arise from the torrential downpours. Our prayers are certainly with all of ya....and tho it may not be High on the priority list at the time, know that some of us here are anxious to hear that all are okay. There certainly will be cleanup afterwards, but hopefully that is the worst any may face.....:hugs:fl

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
I just went and picked up some square bales of hay. I've got a round bale that's under cover but it's not IN the main barn. Goats would have to go out and get their twinkle toes wet to eat off of it. If this were a one or two day event I'd just tell 'em to get over it, lol. But if it truly turns into a 5 or 6 day event I'd feel like a terrible goat mom. So, they will be able to munch in the comfort of the barn.

Saw something interesting on the way back. A couple horses in a pasture with telephone numbers spray painted on them. WOW! Now, it's not a bad idea, but I'm not thinking it's gonna be that bad. Maybe I'm underestimating???

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
The hay was a good idea and the numbers on the horses seems to be preparing for the worst, but hoping for the best. But, being barely above sea level ya just never know....like GB said, there will be water flowing down-stream from it falling N of ya there and it will have to flow somewhere.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
When we first got our goats and they were challenging fences we put our phone number on their collars. I don't like rain and I don't like wind so combining the two into a really really BIG storm sounds like a bad idea. Hang on tight and still praying that it goes easy on you.

animalmom

Herd Master
Reaction score
We are pretty far removed from any excitement Harvey may throw. We might get some wind and we are hoping to catch some rain as we are rather dry. We're about 120 miles Southwest from the Dallas/Fort Worth area.

@frustratedearthmother, putting a contact number on the horses is a good idea... might actually get the animal back if it got out due to the storm. We don't have anything large enough upon which to spray paint a phone number. :)

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
So bring him with you! Build two houses! Tyler is a great town and is very close by. really trying to dig you out of hurricane land.......LOL
Awwwww cumon now Bay... be honest... You're just trying to get us another great new neighbor! moving out of harms way is just an added bennie! ;)

We don't have anything large enough upon which to spray paint a phone number. :)

Well SURE you do! You'd just have to spray it in really small numbers :D Didn't you have rather large cows wandering around? Or were those someone else's on your land (leased)?

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
Most of my cows will just have to take it as it comes, as I don't have loafing shed enough for all of them without risking one of the calves getting crushed or injured in all the jostling around they do.
Cows with nursing calves will have shelter available, but they usually choose to just stay out in the rain anyway.

Neighbor texted me from Houston yesterday and asked if I could look after his horses. I asked if there was anything in particular he wanted me to do. "Yeah, if you see them swimming..."

He was serious and for good reason.

We are seeing bands this morning, steady light surface wind alternating from North and East, with dark clouds on the south side of it moving from south to north. Pretty typical of 12-16 hrs pre landfall.
Unless there is a deviation from past storm events and we have solid cloud cover all day, there will be a heck of a pretty sunset tonight. Ike hit around 11pm and the sunset that evening was spectacular.
You can feel it in the air. It's coming..

Last edited:

Bunnylady

Herd Master
Reaction score
Spray paint is a bit extreme, but a good sized tree branch falling on a fence could mean loose horses any time. Halters can get snagged on stuff; worst case scenario is then nobody finds the horse.:( Some people will put contact info on a waterproof tag or ribbon and braid it into the horse's mane.

I've seen a lot of direct hits and near misses in the 34 years I've lived in Wilmington. Ran from some, rode some out; been through some crazy aftermath. I doubt I can add anything that hasn't already been said (probably ad nauseam on the news!), but my thoughts and prayers are with y'all!:fl

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
From a similar thread on one of the cattle boards--the most relevant items underlined--precursors of what is to follow:
Bouy Data offshore Aranasas Pass. 21 ft sea tells me that some are probably up to 35'. Pressure "falling rapidly". Im glad I'm not there!
DBC
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2017 13:50:00 UTC
Winds: N (10°) at 35.0 kt gusting to 42.7 kt
Significant Wave Height: 21.7 ft
Dominant Wave Period: 13 sec
Average Wave Period: 8.8 sec
Mean Wave Direction: ESE (117°)
Atmospheric Pressure: 29.39 in and falling rapidly

Air Temperature: 80.6 F
Dew Point: 77.2 F

Latest posts