hurt eyes

Alibo

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I personally would treat topically and then you would not need the probiotic. But since you do not have it yet, put some honey on there for the time being.

I use home grown kefir as a probiotic. I feed mine with organic apple juice or coconut milk. The goats love the taste. You can also use a good yeasty beer like an IPA, a good yogurt, or raw goats milk. There are some store bought ones too but I have never used them, hopefully someone else has and can suggest a good one. I would like to know too!

Alibo

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Good to hear! Hope for the best, plan for the worst. I would still use the honey, I treat most injuries and infections with honey and powdered garlic mix. Don't think the garlic would be good for the eyes though.

Love your threads and you do a great job!

newton the goat

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I just confirmed it's pink eye.... didn't get any pictures since she was moving around too much but a couple look and it was certain...I'm going to try honey first and see if it helps and then if I don't see any difference I will switch to something else.

newton the goat

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Good to hear! Hope for the best, plan for the worst. I would still use the honey, I treat most injuries and infections with honey and powdered garlic mix. Don't think the garlic would be good for the eyes though.

Love your threads and you do a great job!
What does the garlic do? I know it has medical properties, but don't know much of how it helps.

And thanks I'm glad to hear that you are enjoying my posts so far :D =D

Alibo

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I have used honey in both my eyes and my children's eyes before. Does not hurt and only helped. Garlic has a lot of anti bacterial, viral, and inflammatory properties. My donkey gets thrushy every time it even looks like rain, spent hundreds of dollars on ferrier recommend products to no avail. The only thing that helps is powdered garlic, oregano and tumeric.

Alibo

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Modern medicine can work miracles, in a pinch so can natural medicine. I will always exhaust my natural options before turning to synthetics. Not anything wrong with going straight there but it's not the road I go down first.

purplequeenvt

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have absolutely no objection to using natural stuff to treat injuries, but knowing when and where to use things is tricky. Maybe honey is fine in the eyes, I've never researched the subject, but I would not be comfortable putting it my eyes or one of my animal's without knowing for certain.

As "all-natural" as I am inclined to be, I have seen animals really suffer because someone chose the "organic" homeopathic route for something that needed to be hit hard with antibiotics. One case in particular was a favorite ewe of mine that was sold to a neighbor/former friend. This person has a talent of firing/not trusting vets. The ewe got horrible mastitis and, instead of calling the vet and getting proper treatment, she called a friend who treated the ewe herbally. The ewe died of infection and in severe pain days later. I didn't find out about the situation until after it was too late.

Alibo

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Well said @purplequeenvt! Sometimes you need to hit it hard. Tried a couple herbal dewormers and almost lost a doe. Now i treat as needed with medicated ones. Sometimes you cannot chance it with the big stuff:old

Latest posts