I'm getting a milking machine!!!! Woohoo!!!! more video links p4

helmstead

Goat Mistress
Reaction score
The claw is the hard part that goes to the teat, the inflation is the soft diaphragm inside there that actually milks the goat.

helmstead

Goat Mistress
Reaction score
The pulsator is the little boxy thing on top of the TANK that regulates the vacuum :) It's what all the hoses connect to there on the lid, and it removes when you wash the tank.

(I'm lucky, I have family with a cow dairy - well...ex-family, but my SIL was the owner for 23 years, and my DH worked there in HS)

freemotion

Self Sufficient Queen
Reaction score
helmstead said:
The claw is the hard part that goes to the teat, the inflation is the soft diaphragm inside there that actually milks the goat.
I thought that was the "shell?" No? Then what is the shell?

freemotion

Self Sufficient Queen
Reaction score
helmstead said:
The pulsator is the little boxy thing on top of the TANK that regulates the vacuum :) It's what all the hoses connect to there on the lid, and it removes when you wash the tank.

(I'm lucky, I have family with a cow dairy - well...ex-family, but my SIL was the owner for 23 years, and my DH worked there in HS)
That's why I need my dad to help me, he was a farm boy and although he milked four cows every day by hand as a child, later he worked briefly at a dairy that used small milking machines similar to ours that had to be emptied into the bulk tank after each individual cow!

helmstead

Goat Mistress
Reaction score
freemotion said:
helmstead said:
I thought that was the "shell?" No? Then what is the shell?
Someone post a diagram and save us from ourselves!! (thinking DH may have taught me wrong on that one haha)

I'm telling you, just get it out, check the timing on the pulsator (EASY) and use the darn thing. Doesn't matter what it's called, it's easy to use and clean.

Kinda like putting a harness on a horse. I could NEVER name all the straps and pieces, but I know how to hook 'em up!

freemotion

Self Sufficient Queen
Reaction score
Well, the power went out at a show once and I was putting the show harness on a horse in a curtained tack stall. I got it on in total darkness, and quickly, too......but I tell you, I can't even figure out where that valve that was packed separately goes, and where the hose that goes from the pump to the bucket goes, and how to get the lid on the bucket tightly, it sits loosely and falls off! I feel like such a dunce! It makes no sense to me at all. I'll call the Perry's later. I'm certain that once I do it one time I'll be good to go.

Meanwhile, back at the farm..... :hide

freemotion

Self Sufficient Queen
Reaction score
OK, I have to admit that I got a bit whiny about using the milking machine because I was coming down with a whopper of a virus and thought it was allergies at the time. No wonder my brain couldn't wrap around using that machine!

We fired 'er up this afternoon and all three does were great about it! This video is of Peach....she is only five days into her first lactation, look at what a good girl she is! She is also the first goat we chose to try the milking machine on. One of my goats is CAE positive so I needed to milk her last, and empty the bucket before milking her. She also happens to be my herd queen, so she was pretty ticked off by the time she got on the stand and seriously withheld milk! :p

But Peach was.....a peach! I learned a lot today and feel very confident about it now. Well, confident that I will soon be confident! My dad came over and we looked over all the parts and read and re-read the instructions, and then filled two buckets, one with plain water and one with a bleach solution. Then we cleaned the machine and set up for milking.

Here is the first time video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bh5M1lwbn0U

ETA: Don't copy how I released her teats!!! I forgot to shut off the vacuum first, poor thing!

Latest posts