I'm woolin' it!

Niele da Kine

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Selling is usually harder than making yarn. Especially at getting it sold at retail levels and not at wholesale.

Is there a local yarn shop you can sell to? If you have a local yarn shop they're usually quite happy to buy local yarns. Well, if you have any tourists in your area, at least. Tourists love to visit places and get yarn produced there.

Kusanar

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I just started learning to hand spin. I'm just using a cheap drop spindle right now that came in a "starter kit" from Amazon (spindle and 10 bundles of wool).

So far I have spun up 2 of the bundles into simple 2 ply.

I'm thinking about undoing the ply on the darker one and tightening up the spin before plying it back. It floofed more than I like when it plied.
20200907_155016.jpg

Niele da Kine

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
There will always be more fleece out there, just start on the next skein of yarn and save that one for a different project? Lovely yarn, what are you going to make with it? Did they say what kind of wool it is?

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
I just started learning to hand spin. I'm just using a cheap drop spindle right now that came in a "starter kit" from Amazon (spindle and 10 bundles of wool).

So far I have spun up 2 of the bundles into simple 2 ply.

I'm thinking about undoing the ply on the darker one and tightening up the spin before plying it back. It floofed more than I like when it plied.
View attachment 77610
Can you make something with the fluffy yarn that is meant to be fluffy? Like a hat or scarf? Or was this yarn supposed to be used in something specific that the amount of floof is not good?

The colors are really pretty.

Kusanar

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
There will always be more fleece out there, just start on the next skein of yarn and save that one for a different project? Lovely yarn, what are you going to make with it? Did they say what kind of wool it is?
The kit says it has the following " Manx Loughtan, Merino , Jacob, and Bluefaced Leicester Humbug" One of them is a really course and frankly awful grey fiber, but that's the only one like that, one is a grey striped, I think that one MIGHT be the jacob, not sure on the others. The picture shows all but that awful one, the ones labeled 1 and 2 are the ones shown spun up.

There isn't much to any of them, so I'm thinking I will use all of the browns in one project and all of the greys (minus the pretty stripy one) in another. I'm only getting about 25ish yards out of each color so far.

Bundles labeled.jpg

Can you make something with the fluffy yarn that is meant to be fluffy? Like a hat or scarf? Or was this yarn supposed to be used in something specific that the amount of floof is not good?

The colors are really pretty.
I'm more worried that it kind of unspun the singles when it plied, so it may not be as strong as it should be in those areas. I think the single just wasn't quite twisted enough.

Niele da Kine

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Those are just samples! There's not enough fiber there to really get your teeth into it! There should be some indication of which wool came from which breed as well since once you find which one you prefer, how will you find more of it later?

Are there any folks around you with sheep? Then you might be able to get a fleece and have enough to try working it up different ways to see which way works best with the particular fiber. Although, 'best' also determines what the project at hand will be.

Probably one of the whites is the Merino. It usually likes to spin thin.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Merino should be white and soft. Probably the bottom one. It was long sought after as a fine wool. Vermont had tons of Merinos in the early 1800s, they had to be appropriated from Spain

Merino sheep in Vermont

Kusanar

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Those are just samples! There's not enough fiber there to really get your teeth into it! There should be some indication of which wool came from which breed as well since once you find which one you prefer, how will you find more of it later?

Are there any folks around you with sheep? Then you might be able to get a fleece and have enough to try working it up different ways to see which way works best with the particular fiber. Although, 'best' also determines what the project at hand will be.

Probably one of the whites is the Merino. It usually likes to spin thin.
Merino should be white and soft. Probably the bottom one. It was long sought after as a fine wool. Vermont had tons of Merinos in the early 1800s, they had to be appropriated from Spain

Merino sheep in Vermont
Yeah, there is no indication on any of them as to what they are. It also said that due to availability that they could be substituted.

I do have a 1 pound batch of Jacob's coming to play with. Ordered that this morning.

Kusanar

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Ugh, I had the most frustrating night last night...

I finally got the 4 brown wools spun up and made a hat... only to bind off a little too late and ran out of yarn with about 10 stitches left... So, I have 2 lbs of raw wool, I will try washing some tonight to make about 2 feet of yarn so I can finish the darn hat!

The yarn I used, went from darkest to lightest (top to bottom)
20200926_200634.jpg

Hat in progress with only 2 colors so far. My oh so sophisticated stitch markers (rubber bands) and all.
20200927_181341.jpg