In Memory of Addy

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
hooves at birth are gel like- soft they are not hard yet the tips especially will peel off after kidding then the hoof hardens

Lanthanum

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
hooves at birth are gel like- soft they are not hard yet the tips especially will peel off after kidding then the hoof hardens
Yes I know, I've birthed a few live babies as well. These hooves though weren't hooves at all, entirely gel

Lanthanum

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
She is not able to move at all, or even hold her head up. I carried her inside the shelter onto some towels for comfort, and set some water beside her.

luvmypets

Herd Master
Reaction score
Im so sorry, this sounds like something that happened with my first ewe Belle. It didnt end up well so I pray Addy can pull through for you.

norseofcourse

Herd Master
Reaction score
Can you pull down her lower eyelid and tell us what color the inner surface of her eyelid is?

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
What is her temperature?

How hard has she been pushing?
This is NOT normal. My goats are able to jump onto the milk stand within 30 minutes after they give birth.

How did you pull the kid? Did you really have to work on it? How easily did it come out.

I haven't experienced it, but I'd be concerned about a ruptured uterus. Or torn uterus.

What is the does temp?
Did you give the molasses water?

ETA at this point I don't think it's a placenta issue. It hasn't been long enough for it to present these kinds of symptoms.

I hate to say this, but you need to prepare yourself… :(:hit:hugs:hugs

Lanthanum

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I'm not sure what I'm looking for, but it looks the same as all of the other goats. I tried pulling back her eyelid but I couldn't, there wasn't much to pull back. I saw her eye around the brown part though, and in that case it is a normal grey eye color

Lanthanum

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
What is her temperature?

How hard has she been pushing?
This is NOT normal. My goats are able to jump onto the milk stand within 30 minutes after they give birth.

How did you pull the kid? Did you really have to work on it? How easily did it come out.

I haven't experienced it, but I'd be concerned about a ruptured uterus. Or torn uterus.

What is the does temp?
Did you give the molasses water?

ETA at this point I don't think it's a placenta issue. It hasn't been long enough for it to present these kinds of symptoms.

I hate to say this, but you need to prepare yourself… :(:hit:hugs:hugs
No one was home when she started birthing the second kid so I have no idea how hard she was pushing, but she was definitely very exhausted. The kid wasn't positioned right, it's head was turned backwards and was harder to push out. It took some effort to get the kid out as easily as I could, I pulled it by its front legs but didn't yank it. I don't have a thermometer to take her temp, and I don't have any molasses. To be frank, I don't know what molasses is. It has been an hour and a half since I got the kid out, and still no afterbirth. Though, she is very exhausted and still hasn't moved. I don't think her body has the energy to get rid of it