In search of LGD in Florida

Angeliki Manouselis

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
How high is the pasture fence, is there hotwire above it, do you have a low hot wire on the inside to discourage digging?

6 ft. No I don’t have hot wire. She ended up staying in all night after I put a piece of lumber where she was digging. I think she just wanted to play with my other dog for a bit. I let her out today to play too. I don’t want her to resent being here or the livestock.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
6' should be high enough assuming there are not cross pieces she can get purchase on to climb. Sounds like you just need to deal with the digging.

Angeliki Manouselis

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
6' should be high enough assuming there are not cross pieces she can get purchase on to climb. Sounds like you just need to deal with the digging.
I had her out of the pasture all day with my house dog Zena they played and slept, not Zena does not want to be in the house either so she is outside, locked Indie in the pasture and she went and laid down with her goats and Zena is outside the fence near her. Lol I think she just needs time to let off some steam playing. Maybe she will be good and not get out tonight. We will see!

Angeliki Manouselis

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
She stayed in the pasture all night until my cousin got home from work and brought Zena in the house, then she dug under the gate. Well it's a start. I fed her down by her goats and told her to stay then shoveled dirt back in the hole lol... I think she will get it eventually.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
You might need to put a physical barrier at ground level under the gates. Obvious place to dig since unlike the fence itself, they don't go all the way to the ground.

Angeliki Manouselis

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
You might need to put a physical barrier at ground level under the gates. Obvious place to dig since unlike the fence itself, they don't go all the way to the ground.
I put a big piece of lumber on the ground, she didn't get out last night, I just let her out to hangout for the day, she loves to go jump in the pond lol I think she will integrate quickly now.

Angeliki Manouselis

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Had to post. Everything is going so well. Haven’t lost any chickens ducks goats etc. Indie and her goats have started bonding too. She is also great pals with my farm dog Zena now, they play outside the pasture during the day.
She is such a blessing to this farm.
6ED0C571-9EE4-4168-9FBE-9B1CBB56370A.png