Last edited:

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
housemd.jpg

mystang89

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
So they take from the Red Sea, give to the Dead Sea. Ok. Then they say the Dead Sea is receding because of all the dams and diverting of the rivers which feed it and they have no intention of stopping this..... Wouldn't it be logical to think that they will be in the same situation they are in now down the road? Like putting a bandaid on a gunshot wound if you ask me.

Also a quote from one of their elected officials, "Saving the Dead Sea is the responsibility of the entire world."
Wait, wut? I didn't make your problem. You did. You deal with it. Going on the logic of this man, if I become obese because of my own fault then it's my neighbors responsibility to pay for me to have liposuction.

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
Also a quote from one of their elected officials, "Saving the Dead Sea is the responsibility of the entire world."
Wait, wut? I didn't make your problem.
Well, the explanation/rationalization for that comment would greatly require us to go into the P&R issues we cannot/will not address on this board.
But, the economic part we can discuss. Every developed and every developing country uses potash and few produce enough for their own needs.

10 Top Countries for Potash Production
  1. Canada. Mine production: 12 million MT. ...
  2. Russia. Mine production: 7.2 million MT. ...
  3. Belarus. Mine production: 6.4 million MT. ...
  4. China. Mine production: 6.2 million MT. ...
  5. Germany. Mine production: 2.9 million MT. ...
  6. Israel. Mine production: 2.2 million MT. ...
  7. Jordan. Mine production: 1.3 million MT. ...
  8. Chile. Mine production: 1.2 million MT.
  9. Spain. Mine production: 680,000 MT
  10. United States. Mine production: 480,000 MT
(Mine production takes into account any production method)

Meaning of course, that much of Europe and the rest of the world imports a lot of potash from those 10 countries, (except those producing countries that produce a lot but use way more than they are capable of producing..like the USA)therefore, it is the users of the potash that bear some of the burden for depleting the water from the Dead Sea.........that's 'their' thinking anyway. (The USA is over 90% IMPORT reliant for potash as of 2017..I do not know how much we import from Jordan, Israel or the Palestinians)
potashimports.jpg

Last edited:

mystang89

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Well, the explanation/rationalization for that comment would greatly require us to go into the P&R issues we cannot/will not address on this board.
But, the economic part we can discuss. Every developed and every developing country uses potash and few produce enough for their own needs.

10 Top Countries for Potash Production
  1. Canada. Mine production: 12 million MT. ...
  2. Russia. Mine production: 7.2 million MT. ...
  3. Belarus. Mine production: 6.4 million MT. ...
  4. China. Mine production: 6.2 million MT. ...
  5. Germany. Mine production: 2.9 million MT. ...
  6. Israel. Mine production: 2.2 million MT. ...
  7. Jordan. Mine production: 1.3 million MT. ...
  8. Chile. Mine production: 1.2 million MT.
  9. Spain. Mine production: 680,000 MT
  10. United States. Mine production: 480,000 MT
(Mine production takes into account any production method)

Meaning of course, that much of Europe and the rest of the world imports a lot of potash from those 10 countries, (except those producing countries that produce a lot but use way more than they are capable of producing..like the USA)therefore, it is the users of the potash that bear some of the burden for depleting the water from the Dead Sea.........that's 'their' thinking anyway. (The USA is over 90% IMPORT reliant for potash as of 2017..I do not know how much we import from Jordan, Israel or the Palestinians)
View attachment 55362

If that was the main source of the depletion of the Dead Sea then I would be inclined to agree however, according to the source himself..."Ali Subah, general secretary of Jordan’s water and irrigation ministry, said the flow of the Jordan River has dropped by more than 90 percent from its recorded peak. The river has been diverted by Israel upstream, while Syria built dams along the Yarmouk River, substantially cutting off the flow that converges with the Jordan."

Yes, the mining industry is affecting it but if they had water going into the Dead Sea then perhaps there would be water to take out. On top of which, I'm not sure the economic income they get from exports really justifies the pipe project. We need to take into account the upkeep of such a pipe along with the simple fact that there is ALWAYS some kind of conflict happening in that area which means that the pipe becomes a high value Target, then you have to replace which is more money.

Basically, money could be spent better elsewhere since there are things that can be done on their home front to shore up the damage.

Latest posts