Indoor vs outdoor rabbitry

Indoor separated, outdoor separated, indoor colony?

• Total voters

Pastor Dave

Herd Master
Reaction score
The only reason I was planning on starting with two breeds is because I'm having trouble choosing between them. I like them both so much and 6 rabbits, 8 cages seemed doable. I do agree with your suggestion though and I think I will start with just 3 rabbits and 5 cages. I'll just build the enclosure in such a way that I can expand it. Thanks again to everyone for your replies!

I have 2 bucks and 4 does with a grow-out pen devoted to each doe. And, I keep a 24"x24" cage empty as a spare. You just never know when you need to quarantine, or some reason separate one out of a litter etc.
My breeding rotation only has 2 does ready to wean and be rebred, with the other 2 does ready to kindle and their last litters get to 10 weeks and ready to process. This generally means the other two cages devoted to the other does don't get utilized very often.

Another tip you may already be doing, is to keep a nest box designated to each doe and not swap them. It keeps her smell and any germs confined to her each time she kindles.

I also may swap out water bottles, especially if they freeze overnight but I keep the nozzle to each individual rabbit and do not swap them out either. It is healthier and seems to work.

Just a few tips :duc

Marsha Kay

Just born
Reaction score
I have 2 bucks and 4 does with a grow-out pen devoted to each doe. And, I keep a 24"x24" cage empty as a spare. You just never know when you need to quarantine, or some reason separate one out of a litter etc.
My breeding rotation only has 2 does ready to wean and be rebred, with the other 2 does ready to kindle and their last litters get to 10 weeks and ready to process. This generally means the other two cages devoted to the other does don't get utilized very often.

Another tip you may already be doing, is to keep a nest box designated to each doe and not swap them. It keeps her smell and any germs confined to her each time she kindles.

I also may swap out water bottles, especially if they freeze overnight but I keep the nozzle to each individual rabbit and do not swap them out either. It is healthier and seems to work.

That's a great idea about keeping each nozzle and nest separate for each bunny. Sounds like common sense but not something I had thought of. Thanks!

firedragon1982

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score

:barnie

I never thought about the separate nest boxes for does. Of course I only have 2 and didn't mark who had which on it...

Latest posts