Insane fencing costs?

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I used 8" for the posts and 6" for the horizontal bracing.

@greybeard I love all your gates...just reinforces my thinking that one can never have too many gates.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Corner posts need to be hefty as they'll be bearing a lot of strain. 6" minimum... 8" better, but work with what's available.

Simpleterrier

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Maybe u could find old electric polls. I pick them up for free all the time. Built a whole barn and other pens out of them.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
We used 8" round and square. We are blessed with lots of red cedar, so we cut and used them too. On a corner post, the bigger the better. Your Amish neighbors can give you guidance on this.

img2352-jpg.16101

Goatisatva

Just born
Reaction score
Are you going to put up predator fencing? Below ground deep enough to keep dogs and coyotes from digging and above ground top wire for climbing predators?

klcardella

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
That seems really high, but your costs may be higher where you live. I paid 37.5 cents in labor per linear foot of woven wire fencing, including driving t-posts, and concreting in all wood posts, corners, hanging gates, etc. Materials were not included. For 60 acres fenced and cross fenced, including labor, materials, gates, etc., it was a little less than $20,000. I cannot imagine the justification for $25,000 for 4 acres, regardless of where you live, especially for livestock fencing.

Reindeermama

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
We are rebuilding fencing right now. My brother-in-law had some ranch fencing done not long ago. It was $10,000. for a mile of fencing. I think I am going to buy that tool from Harbor freight, It looks like a good investment.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
That auger was a life saver! We used it on every single wood post, corner posts, end of roll braces, crossing a gully double H braces on both sides, gate posts--EVERYTHING!!

Cruzey

Just born
Reaction score
I have a smaller goat herd but I had 200 dairy goats fenced in with 4 tier electric 14 ga steel wire. Once trained they seldom got out. Now SOME counties have a fencing program. It is for converting hay fields to pasture. You can farm it again in two years BUT the fence has to stay up for 20 years . that is how it is here. It covers up to 90 percent of cost. It is done through the ASC office. The NRCS. soil conservation folks. It is to give incentive to stop corrosion. Each state and county has their own program usually. So contact your Agricultural services there and see what they do. Some have woven wire programs like they did here but expenses made them switch to 5 strand high tensile steel. Good luck