Is my heifer rejecting her new born calf?

amysflock

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I don't think I would if it looks like mama's udder is empty (or emptier).

I know on ours the cows' udders were still huge and didn't look like they were being sufficiently nursed for a week or so. It takes a little time for the calf's appetite and the cow's milk production to come into sync. Until then, she'll produce more than baby can consume.

glenolam

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
More good news!

Our heifer has completely accepted her calf, and has even gotten way protective of her. Whenever we go near the calf she gets all vocal on our behinds and gets close to the calf to make sure we're not doing anything bad.

We went into the pasture yesterday (we let them out of the barn earlier in the day) to check on everyone and the calf was lying by herself soaking up some sun. We got her up and going, she did a few frog hops and headed right to mom (who was YELLING at her to get away from us!). She immediately went to nurse and mom just stood there patiently while the calf bumped away asking for milk to be let down.

Got to say we were worried for the first day - I know sometimes it takes 1st timers a bit, but when those first few hours are the most important, we didn't want to take any chances.

jodief100

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I do not know much about cows so I have to ask, what breed of cow is she? I think she is pretty; I like the coloring and the short horns.

My aunt had Texas Longhorns and Brahmas and those are the only ones I am familiar with. Most of the cow people around here have Angus, Limousines and a few black and white spotted ones that I am not sure what they are.

Very cute baby, thank you for pictures.

glenolam

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
You're welcome!

Her horns are actually quite big, and dangerous. We really didn't want a cow with horns, but that's another story.... If her calf isn't polled we'll be disbudding her for sure!

Our cows are white faced herefords, and are quite nice. We've never had any issues with them being agressive, except for the horned one right now. She's getting protective of her calf, so we're on alert with her.

jhm47

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
You REALLY need to at least cut the tips off those horns. She is very dangerous to you, her herdmates, and her calf with those sharp appendages. Cut them off so the tips are at least 1" in diameter.

WildRoseBeef

Range nerd & bovine enthusiast
Reaction score
Jodi, those are Herefords (all herefords are white-faced). In the past the Hereford breed society used to segregate the Hereford breed into Horned Herefords and Polled Herefords. Now, horned or not, they're all Herefords.

I agree with JHM, #2's horns HAVE to be cut ASAP. When she gets protective of her calf like that she knows she can use them horns against you.

And I knew that #2 would pull through and accept her calf eventually! Heifers are usually like that, they can't really figure out at first that this thing that came out of their back end needs the groceries that are on them, but give them enough time alone (and keeping an eye on them at the same time) they eventually figure it out.

jodief100

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
More dumb questions.... Are Hereford's meat or milk cows? I have been thinking of getting a feeder calf next year and am just starting to consider breeds. I know it seems silly to want a "fun" and "pretty" animal when you are just going to eat it but I like to enjoy them while they are around.

I think she is beautiful. I know the horns are dangerous, I grew up with Texas Longhorns. I still prefer cows with horns. Probebly shouldn't get one though.......

amysflock

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Herefords are a beef breed. I like 'em, too...although I LOVE Highlands. ;)

glenolam

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Yes, they're all beef cows. We have yet to butcher anyone as these were the first 3 cows we got back in Aug 2008. We bred them last winter so we could raise their calves and so no one has made the butcher list yet!

Latest posts