Is she preggo?

mustangrooster

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Alright. I have been moderating her very closely, and I have noticed an ‘extra’ bit to her tummy that is definitely not fat from overeating. It seems that in just a couple of hours I have noticed a very good difference, and I'm very confident that she is pregnant (probably 95% confident). I’m not going to be feeding her store bought food now, but her kibbles will stay in the homemade meal I’m putting her on. (The other dog’s diet is staying the same)

It was a plan to breed her when she gets older (in a couple of years) we need the guard dogs, livestock guardian dogs (as well as companions) etc. But since this is early, I’m going to have to deal with it and do the best I can to help her. So I have researched a whole lot before the suspicion of Heidi's pregnancy came across, and now i am printing off pages about whelping and what to expect and a whelping checklist etc etc.

I read that it’s false that younger dogs have trouble whelping and can die from doing it (If the dad isn’t a large dog breed, she shouldn’t have too many problems), and it's actually easier on them because they are younger and their body isn’t old and creaky BUT it’s just like asking a 12-year-old to be a mum, she won’t exactly know what to do, 'cause shes still a kid. So if it takes me to hand rear the pups to get them to survive then by all means I will do it. It’s in my favor that Heidi is a large breed dog and she is bigger than the sire.

But I do know that everybody has their own opinion on young dogs whelping, so I don’t know what’s true.

Also, read a fit and a healthy dog has an easier time whelping (which of course makes sense) lucky that Heidi and I usually go for a walk and play fetch etc every night. So a healthy and fit dog, check.

Hoping to get her booked into the vet this month. Going to keep you guys updated. I really do hope some of you will stick around on this thread, I would like to have a little backup team for some help :)

samssimonsays

Milo & Me Hoppy Tail Acres
Reaction score
somewhere in the Northern region of Minnesota
We had an oops with our collie. She is 55# and at 1.5 years old bred herself (we took all precautions to keep them separate but she spun herself until she broke loose and nearly broke my fingers that were grasping her collar ) to a 150# saint bernard great Pyrenees. Even tho the father isnt lager I would recommend having an x-ray done to see a rough number of how many because if there are only a couple they could be too big for her no matter what. It also gives you an idea if you need to be concerned and bring her to the vet if labor stalls. We had to have the x-ray done but I can guarantee that if we do it again we will do the x-ray every time due to the knowing a rough number of how many to be prepared for.

Bunnylady

Herd Master
Reaction score
livestock guardian dogs

Uh, oh. Southern has strong opinions on this one, and you'll probably hear them. You have bully breeds in this mix, and I believe at least one herding breed. These types of dogs have been bred over countless generations to have an exaggerated prey drive that often makes it a challenge just teaching them to not attack the livestock; thinking you could turn them into LGD's is almost certainly not realistic.

If the lack of a visible belly is what has been confusing you, think about it. Pups aren't instantly formed, ready for birth, at the moment of conception; it takes a couple of months to get them to that stage. Most of the "belly" on a pregnant animal is baby/babies, and it takes a while for there to be enough mass for it to show. If I seem to be being a little rough on you about this, it's because I don't want you to be like my sister-in-law, who had a dog that she actually saw in a tie with a couple of other dogs, and still got "surprised" by her dog when she came home one day and found her having puppies in the middle of her bed! Clearly, something is going on with your dog; I'm very glad to hear that you are moving on past "is she or isn't she" to looking at what to do in the very good likelihood that she is, in fact, pregnant.

I have no stones to throw on the subject of "whoops" mixed breed puppies. Though my husband and I have had many dogs and cats during the 30+ years that we've been married, we haven't paid a nickel for any of them. Most of them we found in the woods, where some other irresponsible person dumped them to starve and die. He had 3 little dogs that he had found like that when we got married, as a matter of fact. One, Simba, had a long back and short bowed legs like a Dachshund, though since she was white in color, that clearly wasn't all that was in her. I don't know how we got her past her first heat unbred, but she wound up having puppies with the next two heats, the first litter sired by what appeared to be a Bernese Mountain Dog, the second by an Irish Setter. I have good reason to think that she was newly pregnant again when we finally got her spayed. While I like to believe that some of those puppies went into good homes, in my heart of hearts, I know some did not. It's a sad fact that a lot of people don't value a thing that they don't have a lot of money invested into, and nobody pays much for a mixed-breed puppy - some will take them if you're giving them away, but . . . .:idunno

Realistically, this is the best reason for getting a dog spayed - it is often surprisingly hard to keep her from getting pregnant. Not only do male dogs seem to magically come out of the woodwork to "do the deed," she will do absolutely anything in her power to make herself available to them. I had a 40 pound dog destroy a kennel getting out; this same cage had been enough to confine fairly frantic goats on more than one occasion.

Particularly since these puppies will most likely be obviously Pit mixes, I would be seriously worried about what sort of lives any that leave your place would live. And because they are Pit mixes, any that stay are likely to be scrappy and aggressive among themselves, hopefully not to the point of killing each other, but maybe even needing stitching up from time to time. Life within a dog pack is not harmonious; there is a pecking order, and the boundaries will be tested and reinforced from time to time. Especially when you have intact animals, and a female goes into heat.:barnieBelieve me, you have your work cut out for you; if you think raising this one dog was a challenge, imagine a whole litter . . . :hide

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Uh, oh. Southern has strong opinions on this one, and you'll probably hear them. You have bully breeds in this mix, and I believe at least one herding breed. These types of dogs have been bred over countless generations to have an exaggerated prey drive that often makes it a challenge just teaching them to not attack the livestock; thinking you could turn them into LGD's is almost certainly not realistic.

You called that one @Bunnylady !
These dogs are NOT LGD's.
They are NOT LGD Breeds.
They will NEVER EVER be LGD's.
Stop calling every freaking mutt and accident litter between two dog LGD's or potential LGD's.
It is ignorant, it is irresponsible, it hurts real LGD's and gives a horrible idea to those not knowing what LGD's are.

There are many dogs that can be a farmdog but farmdogs are NOT livestock guardian dogs.

When I read
The vet is a long trip, we don't have that sort of time on our hands at the moment. I would love to take her, but I can't find the time right now.
Hoping to get her booked into the vet this month

I wonder what is so pressing or important that you are not actively seeking care and spending time educating yourself on this potential litter.

eggbert420

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Dogs have been having pups for thousands of years, without a over priced visit to the vet. I have been keeping dogs for over 40 years and I have never taken one to the vet.

As I said on BYC people can and will love a mixed breed dog. Loving a dog and a dog loving you has nothing to do with money.

what happens to a dog once it leaves your house is not your responsibility. You might not care or you may loose sleep over it, but that's your business. Not mine or anyone else's .

Last edited by a moderator:

LocoYokel

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I raised dogs. A heat lasts about 3 weeks, a female will not be ready to breed until the last week usually. (I believe most owner's manuals say average is 18 day per heat. Some dogs, like all ladies, can have a bit different cycle.) That dog looks preggo to me. Honestly, how long ago did this occur? I am sorry if I missed that if you have already said... but I really think you need to think back, it is important for her and the pups nutritional needs. Where she is this young you do not want her to get in any way undernourished. This DOES NOT mean to feed her more of her everyday food. She will need a proper ration of vitamins and minerals, per her weight, to account for what the pups are taking from her, as embryos and as nursing babies. Not doing so can result in future problems for her and poor pups, as well as smaller total adult size for the mother and young due to poor bone growth among other things. Please consult your vet, this kind of info they usually will give over the phone.
The dogs I raised were registered Staffordshire Terriers, aka the original pitbull. I have to agree with @Southern by choice and @Bunnylady that your dogs are not LGD's. That much pit in a mix, or actually ANY pit IN the mix, means they are "My Yard, My Family" guardian dogs. This is NOT a good thing for your other critters...

Please let me know how things go for her, she is a beautiful dog. Also, please research breeding, pregnancy in first heat dogs, care of young.... you know, that stuff!
Good Luck!

Last edited:

mustangrooster

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I raised dogs. A heat lasts about 3 weeks, a female will not be ready to breed until the last week usually. (I believe most owner's manuals say average is 18 day per heat. Some dogs, like all ladies, can have a bit different cycle.) That dog looks preggo to me. Honestly, how long ago did this occur? I am sorry if I missed that if you have already said... but I really think you need to think back, it is important for her and the pups nutritional needs. Where she is this young you do not want her to get in any way undernourished. This DOES NOT mean to feed her more of her everyday food. She will need a proper ration of vitamins and minerals, per her weight, to account for what the pups are taking from her, as embryo's and as nursing babies. Please consult your vet, this kind of info they usually give over the phone.
The dogs I raised were registered Staffordshire Terriers, aka the original pitbull. I have to agree with @Southern by choice and @Bunnylady that your dogs are not LGD's. That much pit in a mix means they are "My Yard, My Family" guardian dogs. This is not a good thing for your other critters....

It occurred around 4 weeks ago. Its okay, I don't think I actually said how long ago the whole thing occurred. Oh, right, i think i will call the vet tomorrow about the whole food side of things.

She doesn't have that much pit in her, but you do have a point.

I would not pay attention to disrespectful people who don't understand your situation.

Dogs have been having pups for thousands of years, without a over priced visit to the vet. I have been keeping dogs for over 40 years and I have never taken one to the vet.

As I said on BYC people can and will love a mixed breed dog. Loving a dog and a dog loving you has nothing to do with money.

what happens to a dog once it leaves your house is not your responsibility. You might not care or you may loose sleep over it, but that's your business. Not mine or anyone else's .

Thank you Eggbert :)

We had an oops with our collie. She is 55# and at 1.5 years old bred herself (we took all precautions to keep them separate but she spun herself until she broke loose and nearly broke my fingers that were grasping her collar ) to a 150# saint bernard great Pyrenees. Even tho the father isnt lager I would recommend having an x-ray done to see a rough number of how many because if there are only a couple they could be too big for her no matter what. It also gives you an idea if you need to be concerned and bring her to the vet if labor stalls. We had to have the x-ray done but I can guarantee that if we do it again we will do the x-ray every time due to the knowing a rough number of how many to be prepared for.

:thumbsup

You called that one @Bunnylady !
These dogs are NOT LGD's.
They are NOT LGD Breeds.
They will NEVER EVER be LGD's.
Stop calling every freaking mutt and accident litter between two dog LGD's or potential LGD's.
It is ignorant, it is irresponsible, it hurts real LGD's and gives a horrible idea to those not knowing what LGD's are.

There are many dogs that can be a farmdog but farmdogs are NOT livestock guardian dogs.

Actually, i do think people need to see the WHOLE side of the story before they comment on things that could really offend or hurt a person (In this case---me)! Heidi has a bit of pit bull in her, but not a whole lot. I have been training her and she has been doing mighty fine at it! She has prey drives, sure, but when i say "Leave it" she listens. I've gotten from her trying to eat my birds as a puppy to a very tolerant dog that wont do anything if chicks are under her nose. OK, maybe she will never be a true LGD, i fully understand that. But, the sire actually guards my chickens.

Im not calling her potential pups LGD for no reason. The father guards my chickens, and the mother is on her way to doing it and alot more.

So @Bunnylady and @Southern by choice Choice please before you go ahead and say something towards me regarding my dogs and what i can or cant do with them, please get the whole story, because i have been working VERY hard on my dogs, and i dont like big downers like that, especially with how much work i put into my dogs. Unrealistic it may be, but Im not going to stop my progress. I understand one or both of you have LGD's so i can see as to why you thought my dogs aren't and cant be LGD's.

This has gotten too off track anyway, just like it did on BYC. I wanted an answer and a little bit of help, not people telling me what i can or cant do.

Bunnylady

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hon, JRT's are some of the most dedicated rodent-killers you'll ever see, but nobody calls 'em barn cats. ;)

It's whats in their heads that makes LGD's special, the personality and instincts they are born with, and no amount of training can replace that. Training refines it, directs it, but some things you just can't teach. The raw material you start with is what we are talking about; anybody who thinks "a dog is a dog is a dog; if I just work hard enough, I can do anything I want with any dog I want" is in for a lot of frustration and disappointment (and so is their dog). Even some dogs that are born of LGD breeds don't have what it takes; a good breeder/trainer knows how to recognize such dogs, and directs them into pet homes.

Look at it this way - I may play Minecraft on my laptop, but that doesn't make me a gamer, nor my computer a gaming machine. I suspect anybody who knew that world would laugh hysterically at the mere thought. It's just different.

Last edited:

Simpleterrier

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
@mustangrooster you can call your dogs whatever you like to. If you want to call them livestock guardian dogs or cats then go ahead. It's no different than anyone else making up their own breeds. If you have a mutt and it guards your chickens or goats or cows or whatever u have then it is a lgd. Just not the pure breed kind. So what who cares. I like terriers and guess what they keep the predators away or kill them. So some may call them farm dogs others a pain in the butt. But they work for me. So if your dogs protect your stock them that is great. As for the vet do whatever you think. Just remember that vets weren't created first animals were. Some people don't realize that others live a days trip or more from a vet. But this is my opinion and everyone has one just as long as u don't beat the others up for theirs.

Bunnylady

Herd Master
Reaction score
@mustangrooster you can call your dogs whatever you like to. If you want to call them livestock guardian dogs or cats then go ahead. It's no different than anyone else making up their own breeds. If you have a mutt and it guards your chickens or goats or cows or whatever u have then it is a lgd. Just not the pure breed kind. So what who cares.

People who have dedicated countless amounts of time and resources to the raising and training of LGD's, and know what goes into making a good one. People who have had to spend enormous amounts of time trying to rehabilitate animals that have been mishandled by people who have no concept of what is involved. People who hear themselves maligned for "abusing" the animals by using the dogs to do what they were bred for. They feel that they, their dogs, and their hard work is disrespected and devalued when people appropriate the name, and stick it on any animal with who-knows-what combination of dog breeds they have wandering around the place, or call shoving a puppy out in the pasture without any shelter or any kind of guidance "LGD training." It seems to me that respect needs to go both ways.