Is this coccidia? UPDATE on fecals- HIGH STRANGENESS.... PLEASE LOOK

20kidsonhill

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
sulmet is not a very strong medication for coccidiosis. If it is for sure a high cocci load still causing the problem then you need to use a better medication.

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
Pixie Dust said:
Have you ever known a worming schedule to cause issues like this? How would you treat? Thanks so much again!
Do you do coccidia treatment on some sort of schedule? What do you use?

Yes, treating parasites on some sort of schedule will build up a resistance to the drug you are using, making it totally ineffective. Obviously your one girl is more sensitive than the others.

I always look at things individually. I have seem some weird problems over the years and you can NEVER just treat every animal equally. Some animals are just more sensitive to things than others. Just because something works on the rest of your herd doesn't mean it will work for every animal.

Have you used DiMethox yet? I would get DiMethox 40% and treat her with it at 1cc per 5 lbs the first day and then 1cc per 10 lbs days 2-5. You draw it up with a needle, take the needle off and give it to her orally. Do NOT dilute at all.

Parasites are becoming very quickly immune to drugs. So you need to treat your herd when there is a problem. Not on a schedule.

Pixie Dust

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
8346_coccidia21.jpg

I got it. I saw several of these on the slide, clearly. Unfortunately, by the time I got the camera hooked up, they had crystalized and were becoming too hazy to capture.

Weird thing is - This photograph is of Avian cocci. The eggs are perfectly round. Truly identical to this image.

Has anyone ever heard of Avian cocci infecting goats? Is there some strange metamorphosis in protozoan going on here?

I am truly at a loss.

She is doing better, on the road, etc.

Same thing happened to her after Bo's freshening. Vet ( who also owns goats) said fecals were negative for everything.

Something weird is going on here. Ideas??

WhiteMountainsRanch

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
ksalvagno said:
Pixie Dust said:
Have you ever known a worming schedule to cause issues like this? How would you treat? Thanks so much again!

Yes, treating parasites on some sort of schedule will build up a resistance to the drug you are using, making it totally ineffective. Obviously your one girl is more sensitive than the others.

I always look at things individually. I have seem some weird problems over the years and you can NEVER just treat every animal equally. Some animals are just more sensitive to things than others. Just because something works on the rest of your herd doesn't mean it will work for every animal.

Have you used DiMethox yet? I would get DiMethox 40% and treat her with it at 1cc per 5 lbs the first day and then 1cc per 10 lbs days 2-5. You draw it up with a needle, take the needle off and give it to her orally. Do NOT dilute at all.

Parasites are becoming very quickly immune to drugs. So you need to treat your herd when there is a problem. Not on a schedule.

X2.

This is what I would do.

Pixie Dust

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
ksalvagno said:
Pixie Dust said:

The Di-Methox injectable? Any possibility that it will hurt the rumen?

Greatly appreciate the help! :)

Oh, and I didn't mean worming schedule, I meant a worming course of treatment - I did once every ten days for thirty days with Equimax. Her FAMACHA was borderline. I don't worm on a schedule, only as observed as needed.

Pixie Dust

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
So in your collective experience, is it common for vet's fecals to come back negative when they are indeed positive? This has happened twice now.

Ordered the Di-Methox overnight from Jeffers. TSC doesn't carry it here ( nor much else of any use to be honest) I'll keep using the sulmet until it arrives.

And so much for Noble Goat medicated. I only feed Pixie about four ounces per day, but if this is the result, there's no point. Good news is that the poo is a combo of really huge berries and dog type poo. No longer scouring. A lot darker than before, so we're headed in the right direction. :)

Again, a most heartfelt thank you to each and every one of you. You have been an invaluable resource. So much knowledge in this collective.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
Pixie Dust said:
The Di-Methox injectable? Any possibility that it will hurt the rumen?
That is pretty much the industry standard for treating / preventing cocci in goats. I have never seen or heard of it damaging a rumen.

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
Medicated feed won't work unless kids eat enough to get the medicine at therapeutic levels and have NO cocci in their system. It doesn't kill off or 'cure' them, it works by helping keep it at low levels while / until they build immunity. If a kid is already carrying a heavy load or having symptoms, and too little to eat whatever the 'dose' for it's weight is daily....it's useless.

We do DiMethox every 21 days and have had great success....when DiMethox stops being effective, I'll go to SMZ-TMP.

Pixie Dust

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Babs et al,

OMG I have so much to learn. Keeping city goats is a challenge. It sounds romantic, but its hard work in that you can't get a farm vet, etc. My vet isn't that far away, but loading up a scouring goat is not always a good option. Furthermore, his fecals always come back negative. He breeds Nubians. I am lost for that. I want to find a good class on Goat Management to hone skills on shots, blood draws, etc. I am seriously considering going back to school to train as a vet tech for large animals ( not that a Nigerian Dwarf qualifies as a large animal - lol).

20kidsonhill

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Pixie Dust said:
So in your collective experience, is it common for vet's fecals to come back negative when they are indeed positive? This has happened twice now.

Ordered the Di-Methox overnight from Jeffers. TSC doesn't carry it here ( nor much else of any use to be honest) I'll keep using the sulmet until it arrives.

And so much for Noble Goat medicated. I only feed Pixie about four ounces per day, but if this is the result, there's no point. Good news is that the poo is a combo of really huge berries and dog type poo. No longer scouring. A lot darker than before, so we're headed in the right direction. :)

Again, a most heartfelt thank you to each and every one of you. You have been an invaluable resource. So much knowledge in this collective.
yes,. ours come back negative even though they are pouring scours out of them, and then when we treat for cocci it clears up. We prefer corid on kids older than 6 weeks, younger than that I often use sulfa-dimethoxine, but I just use the 12.5% that comes in a gallon jug. You can also get a powder package of either corid or sulfa-dimethoxine and mix it yourself. Medicated feed does work, but it is a prevention and there will be break throughs and they do have to eat enough of it. I think it is like 3% of their body weight for the prevention part to even work and even still there will be break throughs. I prefer a Rumensin/Monensin based medicated feed over the Deccox(Dequinox) medicated feed. But many bagged feeds come with the Deccox as the medication.