Jake's Kindling Thread

Bunnylady

Herd Master
Reaction score
Congrats on the new litter!

I, too, worry about confusing people. Most of the time, I try to keep my posts short (I don't usually have the time to read long posts, and I figure that's true with most other folks, too). But then I wonder if by keeping it brief, did I skip over something important? Did I assume too much? I know I often use the word "gene" when I should say "allele," but I know that even people that know the "jargon " can get lost in it sometimes.:idunno

Last edited:

mikiz

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Oh how cute is that little chocolate bum!
Congrats on more babies!!

JakeM

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Well, this post is unfortunately about the sad side of rabbit raising. :(

Last night after I got home from school (around 10pm) I went out to check the babies. All seemed well until I counted them and one was missing-one of the broken blacks. I looked everywhere and could not for the life of me find it. So I was just hoping I was tired and it was still in the box.

This morning before work I went to check babies (around 9am). And all of the babies were on the floor or the wire. I lost the whole litter. I freaked out a bit at this. Since I had to go to work I took the nest box, put the bodies in it, and left it to take care of later.

So tonight I got home from work (about 5pm) to do chores. Well, I was cleaning out some litter trays and on my way back into the barn (poop pile outside), I saw what I thought was a mouse. Nope! The missing kit, there on the floor, dead of course. :barnie

After so many successful litters, this is only the second time I've lost a whole litter. So for everyone out there, rabbit raising is not easy and do your research before you get into them. I'm 9 years into this and surprises (happy and sad) still happen.

mikiz

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
:( so sorry you lost the litter, it's never nice, especially when you thought things were going so well :hugs

Bunnylady

Herd Master
Reaction score
Man, losing kits is tough. :hugs

But rabbits seem determined to keep us humble. I've had them for nearly 30 years, and they still manage to do things that make me shake my head and say, "well, gal, that's a new one!"

BlessedWithGoats

Herd Master
Reaction score
So sorry for your loss!! :( Losing them is definitely hard! :( My rabbit's first litter I lost all but two, and the third litter I lost them all, but with that litter, I lost the mommy too, and tried to bottle-feed the survivors. :(