1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. Peachicks - Featured Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Jumping the Moon Dairy - the next chapter

Discussion in 'Everything Else Goats' started by babsbag, Apr 21, 2015.

1. Aug 10, 2019
    Baymule

Baymule Herd Master

And if you weren't doing this, you would be so bored. ;)

2. Aug 10, 2019
    Hens and Roos

Hens and Roos Herd Master

:frowthanks for checking in!

3. Aug 10, 2019
    farmerjan

farmerjan Herd Master

Bored and a chance to get a little sleep might be a welcome thing....LOL

4. Aug 10, 2019
    Bruce

Bruce Herd Master

Sure wish a bunch of us lived near you. We could do an old fashioned barn raising.

5. Aug 10, 2019
    Senile_Texas_Aggie

Senile_Texas_Aggie True BYH Addict

Amen to that, Mr. @Bruce! Amen to that!

CntryBoy777 likes this.
  6. Aug 10, 2019
    babsbag

babsbag Herd Master

I would love a barn raising party. Last time I had three friends that helped both days and a few others that came for a few hours now and then. It was hot and miserable and I am surprised that they are still talking to me. I need to find a few new friends to abuse this time around. LOL

Last night we had a lightening storm like I have never seen. We had no power, it was out before the storm from someone hitting a pole. But oh boy, who needed power for light, the lightening was crazy. At one point I got up to check the yard as I literally heard the lightening sizzle and I knew that something had been struck...but no. Thank God. We also had rain, about an inch, and we don't get summer rain. Of course my house dogs bark at every rumble of thunder so I didn't get to sleep until after 3 AM; they sleep in my room. DH had moved to guest room and he can sleep through almost anything. I am not afraid of storms, but that was intense.

Now on another note...I have a mama duck that lost two of her ducklings to a predator, probably a raccoon; so that left her with one. I saw ducklings at TSC and on a whim I decided to buy her three of them. I have her locked in the grow out pen in my coop so her baby is safe. I put the new ducklings with her and they ran up to her and got under her wings as if she was their mama and she adopted them. It was so sweet...chickens would never do that. I was so amazed that the ducklings recognized her as their own kind and there were chicks in there too and the ducklings paid them no mind at all. Birds of a feather... :love These are the kinds of things that keep me owning animals.

7. Aug 10, 2019
    ragdollcatlady

ragdollcatlady Herd Master

Hey there, good to see you are still doing the things!

I saw your facebook message about maybe wanting to borrow a boer buck kid this fall. If they don't sell, I am going to try to hold Baileys buck kid longer intact, so he might be available. He is really a pretty guy, Looks like a mini version of his mom of course. The other 2 boys, I will be banding soon and growing out for myself if they aren't snatched up by the time I order a larger bander.

8. Aug 12, 2019 at 2:08 AM
    babsbag

babsbag Herd Master

Let me know and I will send Jose on another road trip. I could ask around here but I want to make sure that whatever I borrow is from a clean herd so yes, I'm picky.

Senile_Texas_Aggie likes this.
  9. Aug 12, 2019 at 6:48 AM
    Bayleaf Meadows

Bayleaf Meadows True BYH Addict

Babsbag- have you considered milking through with half your herd? You could keep milk production, but lessen the work storm in the spring with half the kiddings. Then breed the other half the next year and just keep going alternating the two groups. But you would need to be milking all year long for two years with half of the herd and then all year with the other half. The goats still get their two months off before kidding, but that would happen only every two years instead of every year. I have read about some people who milk through multiple years with their goats.

Senile_Texas_Aggie likes this.