Just got my hands on some gorgeous alfalfa

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
Prolly!

I've got my barn full of square bales...and my trailer doesn't have up to date tags...and I need to fix some lights so I can get it inspected and get a tag... Isn't it always something? UGH. So, if he has that same hay at that same price for a while longer I might be able to snag some. It would be worth a drive at that price.

Last edited:

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
That is some beautiful hay! We are all set for hay this year, but there is always next year..... Where is he located? Does he do this every year? I might need his info.....PM it to me if you don't mind!

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
WOW -- wish it was closer!! But, right long haul from VA :p

Have a guy looking for some from upper NY area. He brings hay to several dealers here & he'll take on 30 or so bales of about 60# for me on a load. My girls would LOVE me. Used to get hay out of Canada, now the guy doesn't buy from that farm but it was THE most beautiful stuff...orchard. Theminis didn't even leave a blade on the ground. You can deal with price if it's good and no waste.

If you don't have a tractor to help move it, I've tied around bales (sq & rnd) & a post, then driven out from under, they slide off.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
That is some pretty hay. I pay $150-170 for bales that same size. I buy one bale every 8 days and I go and get it with my dump trailer. I can then dump the bale onto the platform I built for the hay and 8 days later "rinse and repeat". It is only a 20 minute drive so I can make that trip easily. My tractor cannot lift a bale like that, they weigh 1200-1400 lbs each and there I can't slide them by hand either. They don't budge an inch and they have a lot of surface area making friction. Once I unload them my tractor can push them around on the platform but that is it.

Why don't you feed alfalfa to the boys?

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
@Mini Horses I've seen pictures of your beautiful/lush pasture(s)!? Why do you need to buy hay? Can't you harvest your own right there? Grats @Ferguson K on a tremendous "score"! That is some really good looking alfalfa, and at that price with those specs, wow!

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Y' all in that general area ought to get together and see if you can get a good deal on a 1/2 trailer or a full trailer. He could unload it directly onto your trailers etc and not have to stack it in his storage barn. Less handling... We buy our alfalfa from a neighbor and good friend, usually 3rd cutting. We tow the hay wagons home with 100-150 bales per wagon and unload them in the barn then take the wagon back. They weigh in the 45-50 lb range, paid 6 or $7 a bale this year. Usually pretty nice stuff. We tell him we want 4 wagons and they can sit there in his big pole barn storage shed until we need it and then just go get it. But it helps when you are fellow farmers and can trade help back and forth if need be. With all the hay ground we have you would think we would grow it; but it needs to be cut really regular and there are times we just don't have the ability to get to it on time. So, we just grow real nice orchard grass on the places we know we will have for awhile, and cut the native pasture grass that is there on places that we are on a year to year basis. We have toyed with trying to grow about 5 acres of it; maybe once I get retired and can have the flexibility to be able to get it done when it needs to be...or maybe not until we no longer have a source....

Ferguson K

Herd Master
Reaction score
If you don't have a tractor to help move it, I've tied around bales (sq & rnd) & a post, then driven out from under, they slide off.

When we cant he the neighbor up from the bottom with his tractor, we usually ROLL it. These are square. That's a good idea!

Why don't you feed alfalfa to the boys?

My boys are fAT FAT FAT. They dont me the extra calories. They get coastal and Sudan .

Latest posts