Just put in an offer for the land next door!

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
Lol. We will never be able to afford one! So incredibly expensive!

Having someone come out on the 16th or so, to walk the land with me and see if they think there is enough hay-to-be to be worth their trip out to cut, fluff, bale and move. Hoping they think it's very worth it, at least this year. I need it kept mowed and only need about 4-6 bales a year it seems. I did the math last summer with the # of critters I had at the time, and it showed so many bales! We still have over half left over! Clearly, the math was way off...lol. Only used 4 bales over winter, might use 1 extra now that I have more ewes. And I need a few for the growing season for the horses, since they get super fat off even the smell of green grass!

Anyway, I've been looking for someone local to make horse quality hay off 25 acres. They keep all but about 6 bales the first time they cut for me this year. Then they keep all the hay they cut the second time this year. Next year, I may have to change to keeping more bales, but I won't know until next year. Would be nice to find someone who makes squares, but no luck. Since if there's squares, I can easily move them. And it would be nice to donate excess bales and sell a couple if needed as well.

Reactions: TAH

JakefromOhio

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Good luck with the closing! It looks like a beautiful piece of land. I used to drive through that area on my home to Ohio from Norfolk for leave pretty often. very beautiful country.

Reactions: TAH

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your service Jake... Navy or Marines? I'm a retired AWC, 24 years. Did several tours in Norfolk/VA Beach. Great area but way to crowded now.

Edit to say read this thread before the other where you said Navy.

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
Can someone explain what you would use this "hay" for???
They are just now baling it. Cut, fluffed, left out in several bad rain storms. It's been 8 days. It looks rotting and gross. But there they are, making tight little bales from it...
Am I missing something? Is it for cattle or mulch or?

2016-07-08 13.41.23.jpg

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
They could be selling it for use as roadside erosion control or something... they put it in a hay shredder and blow it onto bare slopes or as cover over seeding... No idea, but you should be glad they'll be removing it from your land so you don't have to deal with it.

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
Finally met one of them. He said the seller had given him our info yesterday to contact us about continuing making hay on the land. He said he takes all of it and sells it. Didn't ask what he sold it as, since I shouldn't care until it's my hay being made...I'll blame summer heat for why I'm so bit chy about it...

It's so hot out. IDK how people survive out there...ugh. I was out there for an hour moving cattle panels and making sure there was no junk moved by the dogs that would ruin the riding mower. Then I flagged down the hay guy when the baler clogged from the damp hay, chatted for a bit while I was melting some more, and then mowed the yard and ran back inside to solidify again. LOL

24+ bales this time. Can't see them all again.

AHHH! I can't wait to go run around out there!

....I hate our thorn hill.....
2016-07-08 15.11.20.jpg

Attachments

• 2016-07-08 15.11.20.jpg
    2016-07-08 15.11.20.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 92

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
Realized I only showed one side.
Land has back area going around our current land.
Not high enough for an accurate line, but good enough for this. It goes into those trees at left behind that clearing through the trees you can see.
2016-07-08 20.29.12.jpg
2016-07-08 20.28.54.jpg

But that stuff and trees are across the creek, so will probably never use any of it.

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
That layout is similar to ours. We have an acre beyond a natural treeline that has been a garden area that we share with a neighbor. We will probably leave it that way but put some gates to allow some occasional grazing.