Kaye's other than rabbits journal

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
Depending on the breed ya may be looking for I saw a few on craigslist from a couple of places in Alabama listed...just a little bit ago...can't remember the breeds tho....:)

Kaye

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Depending on the breed ya may be looking for I saw a few on craigslist from a couple of places in Alabama listed...just a little bit ago...can't remember the breeds tho....:)
Where at in Alabama?? And thank you!!

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
Last edited:

Kaye

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
My turkey hen hatched out some baby chickens and she looks kind of confused about it. lol
My bantam is hatching as we speak, and she's got a ton (12. lol) of eggs under her!!
My goat is in rut. He smells sooooooo bad. If he weren't so cute.... ugh bud lawd does he smell horrible

Kaye

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
11/12. Not a bad hatch!! She also finished hatching the 4 eggs that the turkey left on nest. She hatched 8/12. Not too bad, but Dora had to finish the job she started!!
The australorps are all trying to go broody... you guys need to lay eggs, not sit on them. Pshhhh. Crazy black chickens

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
It's the desire to produce the next generation, thus the survival of the species. The basic instinct of any animal or plant....:)

Calendula

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Oh, baby chicks! Please get some pictures up because I want more so badly. ;)
I have a single black Australorp hen and she goes broody every chance she gets, but she's a great mama. Love those Australorps, but I also have different breeds that keep laying. haha.

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well, an inate behavior can't be negated just because there isn't a need for it....I'd prefer that my 10yr old doe didn't go thru estrus every month, since she is beyond breeding....but she does....and I'm not going to beat her in an attempt to get her to stop. It wouldn't do her any good to punish her or try to change something beyond her control, so we just endure it knowing that it doesn't last forever. @Bruce can ya stop them from molting?.....same thing. It is an aspect of the animal that ya just have to accept....like it or not. The simple answer is to have more hens to take up the slack during those times. That is the way that I look at those things.....:)