StoneWallFarmer

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Good sized sow...at one time anyway

7799_bear.jpg

StoneWallFarmer

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
When I first looked through my scope I couldn't even figure out what kind of animal it was. I watched her for quite a while, very, very sad!...And I HATE bears! No animal should live through that though.

marlowmanor

Reaction score
Glad you put it out of it's misery. In the first picture I would have sworn it was a hyena if you hadn't actually said it was a bear!

D1

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
you may want to contact your local wildlife conservation office, as they may want/need to know as there may have been or may be other cases in your area so they can be aware and keep up with the cases to help prevent an epidimic. if its legal in your state this time of the year, if not you may want to remove this post :lol:

CocoNUT

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
D1 forgive me for butting in here...but I don't think the OP was "hunting" the bear. The bear was menacing her livestock/property...and in most states, it is legal to use lethal force against wildlife if it threatens your livestock/livelihood. Also, a diseased animal - especially as diseased as this poor bear was - is a MAJOR threat to domestic critters...if for no other reason that contaminating her animals with the mange.

That poor bear didn't look too good. DH couldn't even figure out WHAT he was looking at!

bonbean01

Herd Master
Reaction score
Same here Coco...my DH couldn't make it out to start with since it was in really bad shape. Here it is the same...any predator threatening livestock or property is fair game. Now DH is telling me this is why I should really learn to use the rifle and not just the shotgun...I think he is right...:rolleyes:

PattySh

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Wow that poor bear. You did it a favor. Curious as to which state you live in. I am in VT and have heard ticks are really harming the deer herds here.

StoneWallFarmer

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I'm in Pa. We've been dealing with mange in our bears for a few years now. It gets worse every year. Highly, highly contagious.

I'm not at all concerned with informing our local GC, or having them be informed. As a PP said it was a menace and threat on my property...and the poor thing was rotting alive :(