Kune kune pigs

TAH

Herd Master
Reaction score
I think we are going to raise 1-2 feeder pigs a year. :)

Now what breed would be best?

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Greetings and welcome @whimzy :frow Thanks for sharing that enlightening information! Hope you'll stick around and maybe share some pics of your pigs. Make yourself at home!

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
Probably joined to give info to TAH?

As for breed, what's available around you? Any of the heritage breed hogs are good. They're all pretty hardy. Durocs are good... I guess see what's available first. People up there will know what does well in your lovely weather, lol. We personally like the Old Spot/Duroc cross a lot.

TAH

Herd Master
Reaction score
There are mostly Tamworths around here, but there are a few Berkshires. I can get weaned Tamworth pigs for $75 each.

samssimonsays

Milo & Me Hoppy Tail Acres
Reaction score
somewhere in the Northern region of Minnesota
I would definitely do the feeder pigs first before jumping into breeding. It is so hard with 1 acre of land to plan for all these animals that need land to graze and forage to thrive or be a big money pit in the feed department.

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have never raised Tamworths... But if they are a reasonable price (that's reasonable here so I assume it is there as well) and easy to get I would go for them. No point breaking the bank to raise feeder pigs when you've never raised pigs before, get something basic and cheap (obviously healthy) and see how it goes.

Latest posts