Lab/Great Dane Puppy!

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
This was Parker, he never got too big to sleep in my lap. His head was on my chest, his body was stretched over the footrest of my recliner and his back feet were on the floor.

IMG475-1.jpg

Josie Saxton

Just born
Reaction score
Hi there. I'm Josie. Just joined. I saw your post about your new lab/gr dane mix. I didn't see a date so forgive me if that's old new. I adopted a Lab/Gr Dane mix a couple of years ago. Ernie. He steals hearts! I've had Labs most of my life but this was my first adventure with gr dane. I discovered they aren't great with having their paws and ears messed with. Apparently that's a Great Dane thing. Other non-lab characteristics that may have little to do with breeding but may is that Ernie is a giant brat. He doesn't understand that barking in Charlie's face a hundred times won't get him loved. He does get attention, though. Negative attention, but nonetheless attention. He is hard to restrain and gets grow
0127152040.jpg
20180322_130153.jpg
ly and shows his teeth if I shout near him or grab his collar. He is a thousand times better now but I never trust him. He tried to attack the vet tech even though he had a muzzle on (only time I've seen him that out of control with a human). I can't trust him with smaller animals, especially cats and would never leave him alone with kids.He generally lets his favorite being in the world, Charlie (8 yr old Lab/Pit) steal anything from him and will drop a toy or treat if Charlie looks at him. However my unknowing sister let him lick a chicken bowl and Charlie came over to take it from him and fighting and stitches were involved so no unsupervised treats. Now that I've made him sound like a monster, these incidents are very few and far between and Ive been working with him. I got him when he was a year old. He was dumped on a nearby mountain. (I'm guessing he growled at a human or kid and they got rid of him). He is my little boy and soaks up love like no other dog I've ever had (and that's a lot). He has so many quirks. Not the brightest of dogs but that makes him even more lovable. He's almost always every ones favorite dog. you can walk and he'll walk with you with his head resting on your hand. Truly didn't mean to write a novel. No idea why I am, but hey, it's Sunday, why not. Congrats on your new guy. A question for you. I see a picture of maybe a Gr Pyr in one of the middle pictures and he/she looks just like my Gr Pyr/Gold Ret mix that passed away a few years ago. just wondering if yours is a mix?

Attachments

• IMG_0879.JPG
    IMG_0879.JPG
    423.6 KB · Views: 99

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hi @Josie Saxton and welcome to the forum. This thread is current, we got Carson a month ago, he is a little over 3 months old now. He weighed 13 pounds when we got him, at his vet visit a week ago, he weighed 32 pounds, I bet he weighs 40 pounds now!

Your Ernie sounds like a hot mess, LOL! No telling what happened to him until you got him and showed him proper love and attention. He sounds like a big love bug, quirks and all.

The Great Pyrenees in the picture is half Great Pyrenees and half Maremma. The Great Pyrenees comes from the Pyrenees Mountains in France, the Maremma comes from Italy. They are similar breeds. We also have a female Great Pyrenees.

We had a black Lab/Great Dane, we lost him in July.
https://www.backyardherds.com/threads/our-parker-is-gone.38178/

My husband really wanted another one, I searched daily for a puppy. I finally found a family with a litter, less than an hour away. Needless to say, we are delighted to have Carson.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Greetings and welcome to BYH @Josie Saxton from NE TX! So glad you joined us. Thanks for sharing some of your story and the pics of your dogs. We're all animal lovers here but I think most of us share a special kind of love with our dogs. There's a reason they are referred to as "man's best friend". There's a wealth of info, knowledge and experience shared in the multitude of threads. Browse around and see what interesting stuff you can find. By all means post away when the desire strikes you, especially if you have questions (provide as much detail/info as possible and pictures truly help)... With all the great folks here, generally someone will respond in no time at all. Please make yourself at home!

PLEASE put at least your general location in your profile. It could be very important if/when you ask for or offer help or advice. You know, climate issues and such. I recommend at least your state as most folks won't be able to figure out where if you put anything more specific (county, town, street, etc) by itself. Old folks like me :old will never remember from this post & look there first. To add it, mouse hover over Account top right and a drop down will appear. Click on Personal Details and scan down. You'll see the spot for Location. Then go to the bottom and save changes. Thanks! Hope you enjoy the site!