Lamb milk replacer

Mrs1885

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Gave hubby name suggestions and he is mulling them over.

Seems to have figured out the bottle IF we hide it behind our leg. Do I let him have as much as he wants? He's taking one cup at a time every two and a half to three hours but he seems like he wants more. Should I try a cup and a half? Or fill it and let him have what he wants?

Attachments

• 20190111_083632.jpg
    20190111_083632.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 208

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Not familiar with sheep but with my bottle baby goat, I gave her as much as she wanted at each feeding. 4x/day for first week, 3x/day for her 2-4th week then 2x/day from there on out. I understand with cows, you're not supposed to over feed them as it can cause scours... I'd say watch his bowel movements and as long as they're OK, let him have what he'll take.

@Mike CHS @Sheepshape @mysunwolf Others?

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
Our notes when we were preparing said that Infant lambs should receive at least about 15% to 20% of their body weight in milk replacer daily. Example: 5 lb lamb X 16oz/lb= 80 oz X 20% = 16 oz daily but ours didn't take in that much until they were closer to a week old so we fed with 12 oz bottles. If they still acted hungry we gave me but they rarely did. We did not introduce them to water for a couple of weeks so the milk was not diluted.

Sheepshape

Herd Master
Reaction score
Ewe milk replacer is easily available over here, both with cow whey and sheep whey ( the ovine one is very expensive). There are a number of on-line recipes for 'emergency use'

As young lambs I always let them take as much milk as they want, but begin to restrict the quantities from about 4 weeks of age (when they are drinking water and starting to take solids). Bottle lambs get weaned around 6-8 weeks, depending on their size, with big, healthy lambs being weaned before smaller and sicker ones.

Mrs1885

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Thank you everyone! He's6 days old today so I'm letting him have what he wants. He gets full and starts ramming my legs, like mom's bag to let down milk, but won't take more milk when offered.

Also his diapers have a slight red tint overnight. Now overnight of course there is more in there so maybe that's why I don't notice it during the day, but it concerned me. Stool is soft but not watery. Have attributed it to the switch from mom's milk to cow's, and the stress of leaving the herd and being inside now. It's also a very light color. Are either things to worry about? Diaper and stool photo attached.

Attachments

• 20190112_063119.jpg
    20190112_063119.jpg
    168 KB · Views: 206

Mrs1885

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Stool didn't load in other post for some reason

Attachments

• 20190112_063739.jpg
    20190112_063739.jpg
    285.5 KB · Views: 211
  • 20190112_063739.jpg
    20190112_063739.jpg
    285.5 KB · Views: 199

Sheepshape

Herd Master
Reaction score
All looks fine to me. The poop is always soft and yellow, often sticky in newborn lambs and tends to be loose to very loose on cows' milk substitute.

The darker urine overnight is normal.....more concentrated.

At his age Rampant won't be appropriate.....Discourage the 'head butting' even at this tender age. It is fine at this size, but when he's 80kg of muscle and attitude (if he's intact) it can be lethal! I don't castrate my tup lambs, so I stop the head butting as soon as it starts.

Mrs1885

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
All looks fine to me. The poop is always soft and yellow, often sticky in newborn lambs and tends to be loose to very loose on cows' milk substitute.

The darker urine overnight is normal.....more concentrated.

At his age Rampant won't be appropriate.....Discourage the 'head butting' even at this tender age. It is fine at this size, but when he's 80kg of muscle and attitude (if he's intact) it can be lethal! I don't castrate my tup lambs, so I stop the head butting as soon as it starts.

Really?! I assumed it was the natural ramming they do to moms bag to let down milk. Had no idea it was playing!!

We actually learned the hard way with our first goat kid. He got to that age and loved ramming everyone and everyone. Thankfully a good friend has goats and she noticed it, but not before my legs had taken a few good shots. We had an adult male goat now that had some aggression issues when he came in. Took a week to get him lined out. He's been pretty good the last few months but I still don't trust him.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Bottle fed ram lambs have no fear of humans and will try to dominate you. As they get bigger, it can become dangerous. @Sheepshape is right, stop this behavior. What are your plans for him?

Sheepshape

Herd Master
Reaction score
I assumed it was the natural ramming they do to moms bag to let down milk
The 'ram' to start the milk is the first one or two bumps that you may get when a lamb first goes to the udder/bottle (as you say, the reflex 'bump' to start the milk coming down). A lamb who is butting once he/she is full of milk is 'testing his feet' (and it is almost always 'he' rather than 'she'). Politely but firmly push his head away from the side and say 'no'.