Larsen Poultry Ranch - homesteading journey

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
We had a lot of folks over today; I am tired of being social and just want to relax. My mom came over to watch the munchkin so I could work in the yard. Hubby's grandparents, aunt, uncle, and two cousins came over to help work in the yard and visit.

A group of church folks also came over to help in the yard, they were hard workers! They were here for only 3 hours but got a lot of work done in that time. Hubby worked on chopping up the trees he previously dropped, and we had two burn piles going. Two of the young men worked the splitter and split all of the rounds in the zone by the well, while I and a few others stacked the freshly split and previously split wood. We stacked it up on pallets next to one of the shipping containers. There were 4 pallets and I was able to get 3 rows on each pallet. One pallet I kept as seasoned wood and the others were the fresh wood that will need to age until at least next year. Ended up with stacks that were about chest high. I'm a bit sore but we did good and the area looks much better now. I believe we are going to continue working on this tomorrow.

KIMG2641.JPG

After all of those folks left, hubby's other set of grandparents came over to visit and my mom went home. Everyone who held munchkin today commented on how heavy he was, so I brought out the baby scale I bought but haven't used yet. We weighed the munchkin and he is 17 pounds at a few days shy of 4 months. He is a happy little growing boy. He's got some rolls but I don't think he's too heavy, he looks healthy to me.

Grandparents went home and now we are enjoying the peace and quiet while munchkin sleeps.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Wow! What a great day and getting so much done! Blessings for family and church friends coming to help. Where would we be without our friends and family? It's good to hear that your baby is growing and thriving, it won't be long and he'll be walking!

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
Wow! What a great day and getting so much done! Blessings for family and church friends coming to help. Where would we be without our friends and family? It's good to hear that your baby is growing and thriving, it won't be long and he'll be walking!
His cousin was walking at just under a year, so still a few months to go lol. He hasn't rolled over yet, but that will probably be coming soon. He is grabbing things now and can hold something in his hands to chew on it. He drools a ton so might have teeth in a month? No tooth bumps yet.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Or until he is ASKED to stack the wood!

His cousin was walking at just under a year, so still a few months to go lol.
They are all different. DD1 crawled once and said "heck with that". She was walking at 9 months. DD2 was a lot slower, I don't think she walked until maybe 14-15 months. Crawling was fine with her.

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
Frosted again this morning, didn't cover the plants last night, grr.

Told MIL yesterday how much munchkin weighed, and it's apparently the same weight as his cousin, who is 10 months older. She has a smaller frame though. It's going to be interesting seeing them grow up together.

Next appointment for munchkin is on Monday.

Last edited:

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
The goal this weekend is to get the chicken pen assembled and then move the chickens over. Once they are here, I can start incubating some eggs and going through my parents flock to get rid of the old non-producing hens.

My birds I am bringing over will also need replacement by the end of the year, so I plan to buy more leghorns and a few other breeds to play around with the genetics. I really liked the dark brahmas I had before but they take so long to mature. I may try to get one of those cream legbar roosters, to get the blue egg gene.

I am going to breed the Easter egger rooster with my white leghorns this spring and then see how the chicks grow out. I'd like a pretty bird with interesting colored eggs, but I also want the white eggs as I'm going to try to sell the hollow eggs online or decorate and sell them. So I will probably keep some pure leghorns to keep white eggs. If I can get several chicken pens growing, then I could have several breeding flocks with different purposes.

Latest posts