Larsen Poultry Ranch - homesteading journey

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Loving the herd life
Joined
May 20, 2019
Messages
267
Reaction score
753
Points
183
Location
Auburn, CA
So buy the 20 acres!!!
I would love to, but we are still getting our paperwork together. There's one parcel we really like, but it is showing contingent. We need to talk to our realtor to see if there's a chance we could make a backup offer or if there's no chance to get that property.

The other properties we've been looking at all have some issue or another that would be problematic. And there's not many new parcels showing up that aren't immediately getting offers. Kind of a seller's market I think.
 

Bruce

Herd Master
Joined
Feb 4, 2016
Messages
13,642
Reaction score
33,356
Points
723
Location
NW Vermont
Contingent often means "sale contingent on closing on another house". You don't have that in your contract because you moved out into the container. If there is a contract on that property contingent on the potential buyer selling their current property, you still have a chance. And if the second "contingent" example is correct in this case, find out what the date is, they are not usually open ended. Something to look into, I would ask the realtor. If the date is near and you have your offer in, the seller might take that rather than give the current potential buyer an extension. An offer with no contingencies is far better than one that has them. You can't get a "yes" answer to a question you don't ask.
 

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Loving the herd life
Joined
May 20, 2019
Messages
267
Reaction score
753
Points
183
Location
Auburn, CA
Contingent often means "sale contingent on closing on another house". You don't have that in your contract because you moved out into the container. If there is a contract on that property contingent on the potential buyer selling their current property, you still have a chance. And if the second "contingent" example is correct in this case, find out what the date is, they are not usually open ended. Something to look into, I would ask the realtor. If the date is near and you have your offer in, the seller might take that rather than give the current potential buyer an extension. An offer with no contingencies is far better than one that has them. You can't get a "yes" answer to a question you don't ask.
That is our hope, that the buyer won't be able to fulfill their part and it will be "available" to an offer from us. We are keeping our fingers crossed.
 

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Loving the herd life
Joined
May 20, 2019
Messages
267
Reaction score
753
Points
183
Location
Auburn, CA
Signed more paperwork yesterday, closing should be Friday. :yesss:. We are going to celebrate this weekend and fiance will probably go fishing, he's been wanting to go for a while now. Maybe I will finally get a chance to play with wool.

Cats are adjusting to tiny house life. They haven't made a serious attempt at running outside yet, but I know it will come soon. I'm hoping we can get a porch set up before they do something stupid so I have a better chance of grabbing them before they get too far. We still haven't built the shelving and storage we were wanting for inside the living space. Once we do that, it will seem much bigger and less crowded.
 

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Loving the herd life
Joined
May 20, 2019
Messages
267
Reaction score
753
Points
183
Location
Auburn, CA
House didn't close on Friday due to shenanigans/delay in processing by the underwriters so the title company couldn't close. Got a text at 4:50 that the processing was done and the sale should close early Monday.

Today we rearranged the furniture in the shipping container and it looks much more open now. I built a shelf so we could get some of the stuff off the floor. I sold a turkey hen and 8 poults too. If I can sell the other three adult turkeys that will open up a pen. Hatching is in progress and several turkey poults got stuck, the chicken chicks seem to be hatching without issues.
 

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Loving the herd life
Joined
May 20, 2019
Messages
267
Reaction score
753
Points
183
Location
Auburn, CA
Hatch was called, 8 chickens and 1 turkey just fine. 3 turkeys are messed up, 1 might be saveable. I gave them nutri dench and will check in a couple of hours. If no improvement I will cull, as I really don't need birds that require special treatment.

Otherwise today has been mostly relaxing, and I sold two turkey hens this morning too! Hopefully the tom will be next and I can rearrange some pens.
 

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Loving the herd life
Joined
May 20, 2019
Messages
267
Reaction score
753
Points
183
Location
Auburn, CA
The first one almost looks like wry neck, but I know it's because it was stuck in the egg too long. The others were also stuck, but it affected their legs. The second one also had a twisted neck and one off leg. I could get it to almost stand normal if I held it's feet in place and pushed down on it's shoulders. But then it would shimmy and fall over. It wasn't making any progress after a couple of hours. The third one had extremely curled feet and one hip looked like it wasn't in the socket correctly, looked like bad splay leg.

I gave all 3 nutri dench but after a few hours 2 & 3 weren't looking better so I culled. The first one was straightening out it's neck more, so I'm hoping it will work out. It was sleeping a lot though, not sure if that was good or bad. I haven't checked on them yet this morning.
 

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Loving the herd life
Joined
May 20, 2019
Messages
267
Reaction score
753
Points
183
Location
Auburn, CA
Pretzel went downhill overnight, I think since he wasn't staying on his feet as much as the other chicks that they trampled him. He was still breathing but wasn't opening his eyes and I think just gave up, I culled him so he wouldn't suffer any more.
 
Last edited:
Top